2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 11:00 AM by scalinator

JBoss AS 7.1.1 HTTP server shuts down

scalinator

Ok, really bizarre behavior here.  We have a background thread scanning the file system using the Java WatchService API.  It occasionally processes CSV files around 3.5 Mb (10,000) rows - this takes about 5s.  AFTER it does this ONE TIME, the server no longer responds to any HTTP requests to the deployed web app this is running it - any client gets a 0 NO RESPONSE.  The server has to be bounced.  There are NO error or warning messages of any kind.

I know creating a background thread manually is not Nice JEE but this sort of thing works fine on any other server, including other versions of JBoss.

Anybody have any ideas at all?

• 1. Re: JBoss AS 7.1.1 HTTP server shuts down
          scalinator

I have a bit more information, which should reduce the need to resort to divining chicken entrails for those attempting to answer this question.

Unfortunately, this information probably makes it only a little bit simpler to diagnose this issue.  Here it is: We are using MySQL, and doing inserts during the file processing referenced above, and running the query "select LAST_INSERT_ID()" in order to obtain the id of the last inserted row.

*** If that LAST_INSERT_ID query is removed, there are no issues.  But, if it runs - and it runs generally a few dozen times in the transaction that this file processing code starts - the server no longer responds to HTTP requests afterwards. ***

Pretty wacky stuff, eh?

I am certain that:

- There are no issues with transaction management.  (All manuals - all BMP - and we happen to be using the Typesafe Slick library.)

- There are no issues of any kind with threading (there is actually only a single thread involved here).

I've also eliminated the user-initiated thread as a possible culprit by kicking the thing off with a JEE TimerService event instead.

• 2. Re: JBoss AS 7.1.1 HTTP server shuts down
            scalinator

Problem solved.  Short version is that we were loading a properties file inside a tight loop and running out of file handles.

On Mac OS, there is NO error or warning message - even with full debug - making this quite mysterious.

Running the same code on RH Linux, JBoss dutifully reports "too many files", making it a breeze to track down.

The universe makes sense after all.