2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 11:39 AM by mystery blinky

How to pass an object into a startProcess using REST API or Java Remote API?

mystery blinky Newbie

From what i can tell by googling, there's no way to do this. But before I give up, I wanted to ask the forum.

I am able to use the REST API as well as the Java Remote API to start a process and pass variables into it. These variables can be Strings or Longs or etc.

However, I have a process that I need to pass a populated "Person" object into. I created this object definition in the "Data Modeler" in the workbench and it's for testing, so it's very simple: it has only the fields "name" and "age".

I have tried a variety of approaches, but the most intuitively appealing one was importing the "Person" class I created in the Data Modeler, instantiating it, and putting that in the map that i pass into startProcess() with the key being the name of the variable that my process expects. When i looked at the results of this in the workbench (the "Process Variables" view of the instance), the value was null.

How do I use either API to pass in a custom object?

I am a JBPM beginner, so i'm just climbing up the learning curve. FYI, it's not a problem with my process -- I have tested this process via the workbench as well as both REST and Remote Java APIs and the process works fine.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: How to pass an object into a startProcess using REST API or Java Remote API?
          Maciej Swiderski Master

recommended approach is to use Java Remote API in case custom objects are required. In your case you would need to:

• model class in data modeler
          • define it as variable in your proces
          • build and deploy the project
          • create client project in your IDE (preferable maven project)
          • define dependency to the project created in kie-workbench in your client project
          • create instance of that class in your client project
          • use that instances as map element for start process

this is completely supported use case and has been validated on latest 6.1.0.CR2 available

HTH

• 2. Re: How to pass an object into a startProcess using REST API or Java Remote API?
            mystery blinky Newbie

thanks for your response. I believe that I understand (and have done) all the steps except for this one:

> define dependency to the project created in kie-workbench in your client project

How do i do that? Also can you explain why this is needed? I'm passing the object into a startProcess() call in my client code. I suppose I need to do it so that the engine knows what class to use to deserialize my object?

And I have one question about this point:

> use that instances as map element for start process

My question here is what do i use as the "key" in the Map? I put the instance of the class as the value in the Map, but what should i use as the key? I've tried using a) the name of the process variable i created; b) the name of the class itself (not the fully-qualified name, however -- didn't try that).

thanks!