6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 12:46 PM by rdavies

Cut-n-Dry HowTo?

swampcritter

I am trying out Active MQ for the first time, so bear with me. I have a number of questions, so I will break them up to make it easier to reply to.

As I have come to realize, Active MQ is not for the faint of heart for configuring. Coming from an IBM MQ Series background, I am use to setting up a queue manager on two different servers, a couple of local and remote queues, and a couple of channels so the servers can communicate with each other.

Does anyone have a basic 'cut-n-dry' way of doing something of the same -- either with one broker that can accept multiple clients with queue triggers or two with a channel/network connection between the two sites and local/remote queues with triggers as well?

• 1. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
          bsnyder

Take a look at the examples that are included with ActiveMQ in source form and with an Ant build. Some docs are available here:

http://activemq.apache.org/examples.html

Also, running 'ant help' will produce better docs about the build. 

Additionally, digging into the source can help you understand more about using ActiveMQ and JMS.

Bruce

• 2. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
            swampcritter

Tried looking at the Examples page but it's a bit hard to comprehend as it requires knowing Java (which I don't as I am strictly the sys admin/integrator).

I downloaded the fuse-message-broker-5.0.0.14-unix.bin and installed it on our development server. I started up the ActiveMQ broker via ./activemq command as well. I attempted to look over the conf/activemq.xml file, but that thing is huge and filled with a lot of information I don't know where to start from.

I guess what I am looking for is a series of step-by-step examples:

1) A basic point-to-point messaging activemq.xml setup using queues

2) A basic publisher-subscribe messaging activemq.xml setup using topics

3) When to use transport and network connectors

• 3. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
              bsnyder

1) A basic point-to-point messaging activemq.xml setup using queues

2) A basic publisher-subscribe messaging activemq.xml setup using topics

Both of the above are available in he example through the use of the command line options (run 'ant help' on the command line from inside the examples dir for the documented options).

3) When to use transport and network connectors

Transport connectors are used for client-to-broker messaging (see configuring transports. Network connectors are for broker-to-broker messaging when setting up a network of brokers.

Bruce

• 4. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
                swampcritter

I ran the 'ant help' and a large help was displayed with a number of 'options', but it doesn't exactly reveal an example of the point-to-point or publisher-subscribe messaging.

I did the 'ant consumer' and 'ant producer' demos, but thats not what I am looking for.

Is the only solution having to read each .java example file and try to make heads/tails of it?

• 5. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
                  bsnyder

Unfortunately there are no step-by-step guides for the examples currently. This an all be demonstrated through the use of the Ant build in the examples dir, but you'll need to figure out which options you'd like to use. If you have specific questions, please ask them here and we'll help you out.

Bruce

• 6. Re: Cut-n-Dry HowTo?
                    rdavies

Although I know that you don't know Java, but for completeness - there is a good  FAQ  entry on the Apache ActiveMQ site.