1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 6:06 AM by gertv

Fuse 4.2: Error installing war feature

antonymcs

Hello, I'm trying to install the war feature in a clean fuse-esb-4.2.0 installation and this is the result:

karaf@root> features:install war

Could not start bundle mvn:org.ops4j.pax.web/pax-web-extender-whiteboard/0.7.2 in feature(s) war-1.4.0-fuse-01-00: Exception in org.ops4j.pax.web.extender.whiteboard.internal.Activator.start() of bundle org.ops4j.pax.web.pax-web-extender-whiteboard.

log:display-exception is empty and log:display doesn't shows any info about the feature

Any help is welcome.

BTW, what I'm trying is to deploy a war file into the ESB, exactly taverna remote server war (http://www.taverna.org.uk/download/taverna-server/)

Do I need to do any configuration/modification on the war file?

• 1. Re: Fuse 4.2: Error installing war feature
          gertv

L.S.,

It looks like the feature fails to install because there's an older version of pax-web-extender hanging around.  I've raised a JIRA issue to get this fixed for our next service release (cfr. http://fusesource.com/issues/browse/ESB-1146), but in the meanwhile, you can manually stop the old versioned bundles of pax-web-extender before you install the feature:

karaf@root> osgi:list | grep Pax
          [   1] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [    5] OPS4J Pax Url - mvn: (1.1.2)
          [   2] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [    5] OPS4J Pax Url - wrap: (1.1.2)
          [   3] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [    8] OPS4J Pax Logging - API (1.4)
          [   4] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [    8] OPS4J Pax Logging - Service (1.4)
          [ 102] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - API (0.7.2)
          [ 103] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Service SPI (0.7.2)
          [ 104] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Runtime (0.7.2)
          [ 105] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Jetty (0.7.2)
          [ 135] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web - Jsp Support (0.7.2)
          [ 136] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web Extender - WAR (0.5.0)
          [ 137] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Web Extender - Whiteboard (0.5.0)
          [ 138] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   60] OPS4J Pax Url - war:, war-i: (1.1.2)
          Whiteboard (0.7.2)
          karaf@root> osgi:stop 136
          karaf@root> osgi:stop 137

After that, you can install the feature.  In some cases, a WAR file can be deployed with no modifications at all, but I've taken a quick look at the remotetaverna war file and noticed it packages servlet-api JARs in the WEB-INF/lib.  You'll probably have to to rebuild the WAR to exclude those JARs to ensure you're using the classes provided by the container itself.

While you're doing that, it probably also makes sense to configure Webapp-Context in the webapp's MANIFEST.MF to ensure it uses a human-readable context path (instead of the default generated context path by FileInstall/WAR deployer).  You'll find a bit of background information on this on http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/WAR+Extender (the 'minimal' changes option is the one you want).

Regards,

Gert