8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM by sandeep16

Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container

sandeep16

Whenever I try to update resolver policy of root/ensemble container, I see below error:

use-061 | Error while restarting:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "root"

at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:481)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:514)[:1.6.0_24]

at org.apache.zookeeper.client.ConnectStringParser.(ZooKeeper.java:375)[45:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-linkedin-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061]

at org.linkedin.zookeeper.client.ZooKeeperFactory.createZooKeeper(ZooKeeperFactory.java:62)[45:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-linkedin-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061]

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.start(OsgiZkClient.java:390)[42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061]

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.tryStart(OsgiZkClient.java:375)[42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061]

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.updated(OsgiZkClient.java:366)[42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$1.call(ConfigurationManager.java:1756)[5:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.3.0.fuse-7-061]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)[:1.6.0_24]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)[:1.6.0_24]

Same error is thrown when FMC is used to update.

• 1. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
          stlewis

I'm not 100% sure how you'd get to this state as I can't reproduce it locally, but it sounds like there's an error in the variable substitution that's happening under the covers when fabric attempts to swap out what string is using for the ZK connection string.  To trouble-shoot, run:

features:install fabric-zookeeper-commands

or add the "fabric-zookeeper-commands" feature to a profile and you can investigate the zookeeper tree directly.  The relevant section of the tree is fabric/registry/containers/config, you can have a look at it via:

zk:list -r -d | grep registry/containers/config

For example here is an ensemble server I'm testing with:

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/ip = $

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/jmx = service:jmx:rmi://$:44495/jndi/rmi://$:1150/karaf-FuseManagementConsole

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/localhostname = pluckypro

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/localip = 192.168.1.12

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/publichostname = gashcrumb.homelinux.org

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/resolver = publichostname

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/ssh = $:8101

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole

Was actually running into an issue earlier today where the ZK hostname advertised isn't correct, so I explicitly set it:

zk:set fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/ip 75.67.101.236

normally this should point to the "resolver" item, which would then point to the correct IP address/hostname.

• 2. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
            sandeep16

Below is what I am seeing which looks like kind of saame as yours for ZK hostname..

do I need to modify this like you did?

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/jmx = service:jmx:rmi://$:44495/jndi/rmi://$:1150/karaf-FuseManagementConsole

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/localhostname =

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/localip =

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/resolver = localhostname

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/ssh = $:8101

fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole

fabric/registry/containers/config/cumulus_mq/ip = $

fabric/registry/containers/config/cumulus_mq/jmx = service:jmx:rmi://$:44444/jndi/rmi://$:1099/karaf-cumulus_mq

fabric/registry/containers/config/cumulus_mq/localhostname =

fabric/registry/containers/config/cumulus_mq/localip =

I puposely removed other IP addresses now..

• 3. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
              stlewis

That all looks okay as far as I can see.  Can you check the "default" profile and make sure zookeeper.url looks right?  Should be something like:

zookeeper.url=$:2181

with no extra characters in the setting, the code would be trying to parse this URL and getting that NumberFormatException.

• 4. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
                iocanel

How exactly do you change the resolver for the ensemble server?

Can you please provide the commands/steps you are using and maybe an attachment of your logs?

• 5. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
                  sandeep16

below is what I see in default profile:

PID: org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper

zookeeper.url $:2181

I think it looks good to me.

I tried two approaches to to change resolver of ensemble server:

a) from FMC, just tried to edit it.

b) from command prompt.

Well, I updated the IP address using zk:set command, and it seems I am able to deploy bundle from fuse IDE.

Below are the logs again when I try to change the resolver policy from localhost to publichost:

use-061 | Error while restarting:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "root"

at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65):1.6.0_24

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:481):1.6.0_24

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:514):1.6.0_24

at org.apache.zookeeper.client.ConnectStringParser.(ZooKeeper.java:375)45:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-linkedin-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061

at org.linkedin.zookeeper.client.ZooKeeperFactory.createZooKeeper(ZooKeeperFactory.java:62)45:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-linkedin-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.start(OsgiZkClient.java:390)42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.tryStart(OsgiZkClient.java:375)42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061

at org.fusesource.fabric.zookeeper.internal.OsgiZkClient.updated(OsgiZkClient.java:366)42:org.fusesource.fabric.fabric-zookeeper:7.0.0.fuse-061

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$1.call(ConfigurationManager.java:1756)5:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.3.0.fuse-7-061

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334):1.6.0_24

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166):1.6.0_24

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110):1.6.0_24

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603):1.6.0_24

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679):1.6.0_24

• 6. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
                    stlewis

Be best if you could attach the full log file from data/log/karaf.log, as I think we're not getting a clear picture of how your setup has gotten into this state.

Might be worth also doing a quick test with a newly created fabric just to verify if the behavior occurs in a new environment or if some change introduces the problem, I'm suspecting the latter as I'm not able to reproduce the problem in-house.

• 7. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
                      iocanel

I think that the main problem is that you are switching to a special kind of resolver.

The publichostname isn't known by Fabric, unless you manually specify it or unless you are creating containers to some public cloud.

Edited by: iocanel on Jul 25, 2012 8:38 PM

• 8. Re: Unable to set resolver policy for ensemble/zookeeper/root container
                        sandeep16

I am not sure what you mean be special kind of resolver.

But let me explain it again:

a) When I create new fabric from FMC inn amazon cloud, the fabric server is created with it.

c) This fabric server has resolver policy of localhostname by default.

d) Since I need to access this fabric server from my IDE too, I want to change the resolver policy to publichostname. For this I first went to publichostname or publicIP, and edit the field in FMC with the right value as it exists in cloud.

e) As soon as I am done with it, I see the above mentioned error message in the log and my entitr fabric becomes non-usable.

f) I cannot deploy bundles to cloud from fuse IDE if resolver poilcy is set to localhost

g) As a workwround what I did was to manually update the IP address usinng the following command:

zk:set fabric/registry/containers/config/FuseManagementConsole/ip

h) As soon as I execute above command,IDE starts deploying bundles successfully. But after a while it gets set to original value:

It seems to me this is definitely a problem....