8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 5:13 AM by backerst

How to apply process variable to custom java class?

catherinesjy

Dear all,

I have a problem using process variable with my own java class.

I have a java class written by myself named 'Pipeline.java'. There are two functions in 'Pipeline.java', one is doImport(), the other is doExport().

And I have a process:  START -> WorkItemHandler1 -> WorkItemHandler2 -> END

What I want to do is:

Pipeline pipeline = new Pipeline(element);   <---- in Main

Do pipeline.doImport();      <---- in WorkItemHandler1

Do pipeline.doExport();      <---- in WorkItemHandler2

What I have done is:

In Main:

Map<String, Object> params = new HashMap<String, Object>();

params.put("pipeline", new Pipeline(element));

startProcess(<your process id>, params)

In process.bpmn Properties window:

Added a variable [pipeline] with Object type

In process.bpmn WorkItemHandler1 Properties window:

I have a custom parameter named [pipelineParam] which is a ObjectDataType parameter.

In process.bpmn WorkItemHandler2 Properties window:

I have a custom parameter named [pipelineParam] which is a ObjectDataType parameter. (same as WorkItemHandler1)

My question is

1. How to let [pipelineParam] point to the [pipeline]?

For example, if it was a integer type data, I can do like [pipelineParam] = #{pipeline}

But what if it is an object type?

2. I always get this error message while running as java application:

0    [main] WARN  org.jbpm.ruleflow.core.validation.RuleFlowProcessValidator  - Process variable pipeline uses ObjectDataType for default type (java.lang) which could cause problems with setting variables, use dedicated type instead

3. Is it right to use Object type in this case?

I really need your help!

Looking forward to some answers.

Thanks!

Regards,

Catherine

//Environment: jBPM 6, JRE 7, Eclipse luna, Win 7

• 1. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
          salaboy21

Hi Catherine,

You should try to follow the example called customer-relationships located in the jbpm playground repository

droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground · GitHub

Open the process with the web process designer in the kie workbench and look at the mappings in the work items:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground/blob/master/customer-relationships/src/main/resources/customers.bpmn2

It is important for you to understand how the process variables are mapped to local variables in each task, so you can access to data inside the workitemhandler implementations.

Notice that what you are describing in your question is just the configuration for the editor inside the web designer but it is not the real mapping of the process variables to the task.

Once you understand the mappings you need to get the information inside the WorkItemHandler implementation (so you can interact with the Pipeline object).

Look at the WorkItemHandlers implementations to do something similar:

jbpm-playground/customer-relationships-workitems at master · droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground · GitHub

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
            catherinesjy

Hi Mauricio,

Can the customer-relationships example be run in jbpm eclipse plugin? Since I am not familiar with Kie WorkBench right now. It will get longer to get start with Kie WorkBench.

Looking forward to your suggestion!

Best,

Catherine

• 3. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
              salaboy21

I will suggest you to try the kie workbench, but feel free to try it out on the eclipse plugin.. it should work but the one that we are trying to keep up to date is the web process designer.

Regards

• 4. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
                catherinesjy

Ok. I will try kie workbench. Thank you for your suggestion!

Best,

Catherine

• 5. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
                  catherinesjy

Mauricio Salatino wrote:

Hi Catherine,

You should try to follow the example called customer-relationships located in the jbpm playground repository

droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground · GitHub

Open the process with the web process designer in the kie workbench and look at the mappings in the work items:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground/blob/master/customer-relationships/src/main/resources/customers.bpmn2

It is important for you to understand how the process variables are mapped to local variables in each task, so you can access to data inside the workitemhandler implementations.

Notice that what you are describing in your question is just the configuration for the editor inside the web designer but it is not the real mapping of the process variables to the task.

Once you understand the mappings you need to get the information inside the WorkItemHandler implementation (so you can interact with the Pipeline object).

Look at the WorkItemHandlers implementations to do something similar:

jbpm-playground/customer-relationships-workitems at master · droolsjbpm/jbpm-playground · GitHub

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help! Finally I solve my problem after reading all the materials you gave me!

To other person who is looking at this post, I have a little hint for them:

In order to avoid weird problem while using process variable, please use 'BPMN2 Diagram Editor' (new in jbpm6) to draw and set up the process instead of using 'BPMN2 Process Editor'.

Mauricio, thank you again! You helped me a lot.

Best,

Catherine

• 6. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
                    backerst

Hi all!

I have the same problem. I have the project with jbpm work item handlers. There I define class ApprovalStage.

I downloaded jar file of project with jbpm work item handlers into artifact repository. Then I add dependency on it artifact from project with my business process. Also I add new row of Import (in BPMN-Diagram properties).

In process with help of one of work item handlers I get a list of objects of ApprovalStage type. Variable with this list have a type - "java.util.List". I logged count of this list elements. I see that list had 2 items. It is right.

Then I need call a loop by this list. There I use multiinnstance sub-process. Into I need call reusable sub-process. I send current item of a list in reusable sub-process.

And I get errors:

TwoPhaseCoordinator.beforeCompletion - failed for SynchronizationImple< 0:ffff0a000003:-6081d12c:5ba373b3:902b32, org.jboss.as.txn.service.internal.tsr.JCAOrderedLastSynchronizationList@2bb96ea7 >: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: IOException while storing process instance 11377: ru.perm.ics.zs.ApprovalStage

at org.jbpm.persistence.processinstance.ProcessInstanceInfo.transform(ProcessInstanceInfo.java:247)

at org.drools.persistence.TriggerUpdateTransactionSynchronization.beforeCompletion(TriggerUpdateTransactionSynchronization.java:57)

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionSynchronizationAdapter.beforeCompletion(JtaTransactionSynchronizationAdapter.java:54)

at org.jboss.as.txn.service.internal.tsr.JCAOrderedLastSynchronizationList.beforeCompletion(JCAOrderedLastSynchronizationList.java:116)

at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.SynchronizationImple.beforeCompletion(SynchronizationImple.java:76)

at com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.TwoPhaseCoordinator.beforeCompletion(TwoPhaseCoordinator.java:371)

at com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.TwoPhaseCoordinator.end(TwoPhaseCoordinator.java:91)

at com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.AtomicAction.commit(AtomicAction.java:162)

at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.transaction.arjunacore.TransactionImple.commitAndDisassociate(TransactionImple.java:1200)

at com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.transaction.arjunacore.BaseTransaction.commit(BaseTransaction.java:126)

at com.arjuna.ats.jbossatx.BaseTransactionManagerDelegate.commit(BaseTransactionManagerDelegate.java:89)

at org.jboss.tm.usertx.client.ServerVMClientUserTransaction.commit(ServerVMClientUserTransaction.java:178)

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionManager.commit(JtaTransactionManager.java:236)

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService$TransactionInterceptor.execute(SingleSessionCommandService.java:607)

at org.drools.core.command.impl.AbstractInterceptor.executeNext(AbstractInterceptor.java:41)

at org.drools.persistence.jpa.OptimisticLockRetryInterceptor.execute(OptimisticLockRetryInterceptor.java:82)

at org.drools.core.command.impl.AbstractInterceptor.executeNext(AbstractInterceptor.java:41)

at org.drools.persistence.jta.TransactionLockInterceptor.execute(TransactionLockInterceptor.java:73)

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.execute(SingleSessionCommandService.java:397)

at org.drools.core.command.impl.CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession.execute(CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession.java:520)

at org.jbpm.kie.services.impl.ProcessServiceImpl.execute(ProcessServiceImpl.java:488)

at org.jbpm.services.cdi.impl.ProcessServiceCDIImpl$Proxy$_$$_WeldClientProxy.execute(Unknown Source)

at org.kie.remote.services.cdi.ProcessRequestBean.doKieSessionOperation(ProcessRequestBean.java:298)

at org.kie.remote.services.cdi.ProcessRequestBean$Proxy$_$$_WeldClientProxy.doKieSessionOperation(Unknown Source)

at org.kie.remote.services.rest.RuntimeResourceImpl.startProcessInstance(RuntimeResourceImpl.java:437)

at org.kie.remote.services.rest.RuntimeResourceImpl.startProcessInstance(RuntimeResourceImpl.java:127)

at org.kie.remote.services.rest.RuntimeResourceImpl$Proxy$_$$_WeldClientProxy.startProcessInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor254.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:139)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:295)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:249)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:236)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:395)

at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:202)

at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.ServletContainerDispatcher.service(ServletContainerDispatcher.java:221)

at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:56)

at org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:51)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletHandler.handleRequest(ServletHandler.java:85)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:129)

at org.kie.remote.services.rest.jaxb.DynamicJaxbContextFilter.doFilter(DynamicJaxbContextFilter.java:67)

at io.undertow.servlet.core.ManagedFilter.doFilter(ManagedFilter.java:60)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:131)

at org.uberfire.ext.security.server.BasicAuthSecurityFilter.doFilter(BasicAuthSecurityFilter.java:70)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:131)

at org.uberfire.ext.security.server.SecureHeadersFilter.doFilter(SecureHeadersFilter.java:69)

at org.uberfire.ext.security.server.SecurityIntegrationFilter.doFilter(SecurityIntegrationFilter.java:57)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler.handleRequest(FilterHandler.java:84)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityRoleHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityRoleHandler.java:62)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletDispatchingHandler.handleRequest(ServletDispatchingHandler.java:36)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.SecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:78)

at io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.SSLInformationAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SSLInformationAssociationHandler.java:131)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.handleRequest(ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.java:57)

at io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)

at io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationConstraintHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationConstraintHandler.java:51)

at io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractConfidentialityHandler.handleRequest(AbstractConfidentialityHandler.java:46)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.java:64)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityConstraintHandler.java:56)

at io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.java:60)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.handleRequest(CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.java:77)

at io.undertow.security.handlers.NotificationReceiverHandler.handleRequest(NotificationReceiverHandler.java:50)

at io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:43)

at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.jacc.JACCContextIdHandler.handleRequest(JACCContextIdHandler.java:61)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.handleFirstRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:284)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.dispatchRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:263)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$000(ServletInitialHandler.java:81)

at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$1.handleRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:174)

at io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:202)

at io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:793)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Caused by: java.io.NotSerializableException: ru.perm.ics.zs.ApprovalStage

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1184)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:348)

at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(ArrayList.java:762)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:1028)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1496)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1432)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1178)

at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(ArrayList.java:762)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:1028)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1496)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1432)

at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1178)

at org.drools.core.marshalling.impl.SerializablePlaceholderResolverStrategy$SerializablePlaceholderStrategyContext.write(SerializablePlaceholderResolverStrategy.java:97)

at org.drools.core.marshalling.impl.PersisterHelper.writeStrategiesIndex(PersisterHelper.java:248)

at org.drools.core.marshalling.impl.PersisterHelper.writeToStreamWithHeader(PersisterHelper.java:203)

at org.jbpm.persistence.processinstance.ProcessInstanceInfo.transform(ProcessInstanceInfo.java:241)

... 82 more

Could anybody please help me?

// jBPM 6.5.0

• 7. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
                      pnairatl

This is a NotSerializableException. Make 'ApprovalStage' class serializable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to apply process variable to custom java class?
                        backerst

Thank you very much! It helped me a lot.