2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 7:29 AM by jaikiran

What is the purpose of launching JBoss 7 with the -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn option?

alkoch

Hello,

I am confused about the meaning of launching JBoss 7 with the -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn option.

I know that if we want the server to respond to "remote" accesses (i.e., from other than localhost) we have to launch with the -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn option (such as "standalone.bat -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn").  However, I don't understand why this is necessary.

I am coming to the use of JBoss from a prior use of Tomcat.  With Tomcat we can specify a port that Tomcat is to listen on and if a remote system directs a query to the IP address of the machine running Tomcat (on the right port) Tomcat responds to the query.  I can understand the idea of having a switch that tells JBoss if it should ignore or respond to a remote request but the -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn option would appear to do more than that.  As I understand, this tells JBoss to respond to queries directed at the specifc IP address represented by "nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn".  My question is "what other IP address would it respond to other than the IP address of the machine where it is running?"  Does this option mean that if JBoss is running on a machine @ 123.456.789.001 we can launch it with -b=999.999.999.111 and it would (only) respond to queries direct to 999.999.999.111?  That is, a query of 999.999.999.111:nnnnn/servletname/...  would trigger a response?  If not, then why the form -b=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn?  On the other hand, if we can, what in the world does that even mean?

In a related question, what does -b=0.0.0.0 mean?

What are the use cases for 0.0.0.0 and for using -b with an IP address other than the machine where JBoss is running?

Thank you.