0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 2:52 PM by jengstrand

Websocket ClientEndpoint OnMessage-method not called when large String (length 20000) is sent

jengstrand

I am using WildFly with javax.websocket.ClientEndpoint and javax.websocket.OnMessage from JavaSE-1.8 on the client side.

The server (built with Annotations) always sends a string with a length of 20000 characters back to the client when a message comes in:

@ServerEndpoint("/websocket")
      public class MyEndpoint {

@OnMessage
        public String onMessage(String message, Session session) {
          session.getBasicRemote().sendText( "eg String with length 20000 .... ... ..." );
        }
      }

Now, when the client sends a request it should receive this response from the server via my processMessage() function.

@ClientEndpoint
      public class Receiver {

@OnMessage
        public void processMessage(String message, Session session) {
           System.out.println("Message received: " + message );
        }
      }

This works well for strings shorter than ~500 characters.

Longer strings simply disappear without raising any error - no exception is raised on the client nor the server.

I have set MaxTextMessageBufferSize without any effect.

session.setMaxTextMessageBufferSize(25000);

During testing this I found that using a Browser as a client works without any issues. Using the alternative implementation from org.java_websocket.client.WebSocketClient also works without issues.

So the problem only shows when using javax.websocket. I still would prefer to use javax.websocket because of it's Session-ID support.

Any idea how to fix this or debug the problem? Since nothing is received on the client side I have no idea where to start debugging this.

Thanks,

Jacob