1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2005 7:57 AM by Roger

Finder Problem with 3.2.6

Roger Newbie

I am in the process of moving from 3.2.2 to 3.2.6. I have had my full application running successfully on 3.2.2 for a long time. I am now getting an error the first time I try to access the persistent data with a finder method on the home interface of an entity EJB. The finder method uses at least 3 relationships. I do have row locking on and am using JSDK1.4.2, and PostgreSQL 7.4. The error is:

10:07:53,956 ERROR [Facades#findFacades] Find failed
      org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: SELECT FOR UPDATE is not allowed with DISTINCT clause

at org.postgresql.util.PSQLException.parseServerError(PSQLException.java:139)

(with many more lines from the stack trace).

There is also the following warning that appears just before the above error:

10:07:53,881 WARN [TxConnectionManager] Prepare called on a local tx. Use of local transactions on a jta transaction with more than one branch may result in inconsistent data in some cases of failure.

and is repeated 7 times.

I have read the sections in the manual that seem relevant but they do not appear to have the answer, unless I am missing something.

Could someone please tell me the solution to this problem (preferably), or give me an ideal about the likely cause or give me some pointers to follow up?

• 1. Re: Finder Problem with 3.2.6
          Roger Newbie

I've found that if I change the row locking tag from "true" to "false" that I overcome the problem. Here is the snippet from jbosscmp-jdbc.xml

< jbosscmp-jdbc >
          < defaults >
          < row-locking > false < /row-locking >

I presume the reason that this works is because JBoss only outputs a SELECT statement and not a SELECT FOR UPDATE one.

Can someone please tell me the implications of leaving row locking set to "false"?

Ideally, I would like to leave it at the original value of "true". Is there some other parameter that I can set to give me the same effect of inhibiting the output of a SELECT FOR UPDATE SQL statement on read only EQL type methods.

Thanks in anticipation