4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 9:52 AM by pferraro

Infinispan dependency in WildFly

jewellgm

Hello,

I've got dependencies on Infinispan in several places.  In AS7, these modules were public.  Now, in WF8 and 9, the org.infinispan module is private.  At deployment time, I get warnings saying that the dependency may be changed or removed in the future.  Is there a different way that I should be handling the Infinispan dependencies in WF?  The classes that I need are in core, and not common.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Infinispan dependency in WildFly
          pferraro

There's nothing inherently wrong with using a private module - except that WildFly will not guarantee API compatibility (referring to the part about "may be changed") for private modules across releases.  Don't worry - Infinispan as a module won't be going away anytime soon.

• 2. Re: Infinispan dependency in WildFly
            jewellgm

Thanks for the response, Paul.  I wasn't worried about Infinispan going away in any near-to-mid term releases, but I was surprised to see that it went from "public" to "private".  If the criteria for marking something private is just a possible API change in the future, wouldn't that mean that everything should be private?

• 3. Re: Infinispan dependency in WildFly
              jaikiran

Greg Jewell wrote:

If the criteria for marking something private is just a possible API change in the future, wouldn't that mean that everything should be private?

From what I remember, the goal/usage of marking a module "private" was more from a paid support perspective (EAP) where you need some kind of an assurance that if you are relying on certain libraries then some level of backward compatibility and such will be maintained for those modules/libraries. "private" modules don't have those guarantees.

Edit: Just to clarify, the backward compatibility aspect also applies to the community edition i.e. WildFly.

• 4. Re: Infinispan dependency in WildFly
                pferraro

Declaring a module as "public" doesn't mean that its API can't change - only that a specific level of compatibility is maintained across releases (e.g. module name consistency, backwards compatibility, deprecation prior to removal, etc.).  Private modules make no such guarantees.