4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 8:10 AM by ctomc

Decision about Jboss Application server version

prasadamte

Hi,

!

We are moving to Jboss Application server. What should be the criteria for choosing the version of the jboss. Our application is compiled on jdk 1.6 and run on jre 1.7.

Two options:- 1) the latest one(8.0 released in 2014) or

2) latest on previous major release (7.1.1 final-- releases in 2012)

If we take latest (8.0) we can get most of the bug fixes from earlier version but at the same time it will have its own bugs for 8.0.

Thought behind taking older release is, it must be stable by this time.

Please update the criteria for choosing the open source server.

Thanks,

Prasad

• 1. Re: Decision about Jboss Application server version
          jaikiran

If you runtime is Java 7 (which by the way, has been EOLed for public updates by Oracle), then I recommend using 8.2.0.Final of WildFly http://wildfly.org/downloads/.

However, if you can upgrade the runtime to Java 8 then I would recommend 9.0.0 series (CR2 has been released a few days back Announcement: WildFly 9.0.2.Final released and the WildFly team has stated that a 9.0.0.Final will be released very soon in the next few days).

Edited to correct myself - WildFly 9.x runs against Java 7 runtime, so you should actually go ahead and use WildFly 9.x series instead of 8.x

• 2. Re: Decision about Jboss Application server version
            prasadamte

Thanks Jaikiran. I am little concerned about the stability and forum support for Wildfly 8 or 9.0 as compared to AS 711 as it will be used in production. What is your opinion about the same?

• 3. Re: Decision about Jboss Application server version
              jaikiran

Prasad Amte wrote:

Thanks Jaikiran. I am little concerned about the stability and forum support for Wildfly 8 or 9.0 as compared to AS 711 as it will be used in production. What is your opinion about the same?

JBoss AS7, WildFly (which is the renamed version of JBoss AS) 8 and 9 are all community projects and the "support" for them in the volunteer driven forums is the same, except that you are likely to get more support and even help with bug fixes for the latest community version (9.x at the moment).

If you are looking for production support, then you should really go for JBoss EAP (which is the productized version of JBoss AS a.k.a WildFly). The latest EAP at the moment (which is based off JBoss AS7) is EAP 6. More details about EAP can be found here http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/jboss-middleware/application-platform

JBoss EAP has professional support which you can make use of, for timely help.

• 4. Re: Decision about Jboss Application server version
                ctomc

Prasad Amte wrote:

Well given that 8 & 9 are newer there is much more community activity for them that for old 7.x versions.

Also most of internal stuff that apply to 7.x still apply to 8 and 9, major changes being EE7 support and replacement of web server from jbossweb to undertow.

In any case 8 & 9 are both more bug free than 7.x ever was. I would recommend you to go with 9 as Jaikiran suggested as it is mostly bug fix release over 8 and some major build & source code reorganization, but that doesn't affect end users at all.