2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2015 7:52 PM by xyran

Limiting source in union view query

xyran

Hi,

I have a view in Red hat virtualization which is a union of  multiple sources. I want to know how can I limit the source in a single select while querying the view.

Example: Following is the transformation for the view EmployeeView.

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid from Source1

UNION ALL

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid from Source2

UNION ALL

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid from Source2

My select is usually

Select firstname from EmployeeView where employeeid = '12345'. This I believe will do a scan on tables from all the sources.

Now I know a certain employee exists in Source1 so I still want to query EmployeeView but want to specify some extra information in the select that would limit the query to only Source1.

Could this be possible?

Does Red Hat virtualization support a similar concept to partitioning in Oracle.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Limiting source in union view query
          shawkins

> Does Red Hat virtualization support a similar concept to partitioning in Oracle.

DV understands value based partitioning in the select or where clause, such that if you have a view defined like:

select 'source1' as source ... from source1

union all

select 'source2' as source ... from source2

it will automatically recognize the partitioning on the source column.

> Could this be possible?

If there is something about the id such that a predicate can express the partitioning, that would suffice:

select ... from source1 where id > 100 and < 1000

union all

select ... from source2 where id >= 1000

otherwise you can add a partitioning column like in the first example and add another predicate to your query - where employeeid = 12345 and source = 'Source1'

• 2. Re: Limiting source in union view query
            xyran

Thank you.

I have read about Partition Union after this post

I have corrented by query as

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid, 'Source1' as Source from Source1

UNION ALL

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid,'Source2' as Source from Source2

UNION ALL

Select firstname,lastname,employeeid,'Source3' as Sourc efrom Source2

And I do my query like you suggested to do the job.

Select firstname from EmployeeView where employeeid = '12345' and source = 'Source1'