0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2007 4:30 PM by jfrankman

How to map @OneToOne with Primary key association

I have two classes Client and Drivingdistance with a one to one association. The id of the Client is the PK and FK in DrivingDistance. My mapping annotations are as follows:

Client class:

@Table(name="FBCLIENT")
      @Name("client")
      @Scope(ScopeType.SESSION)
      public class ClientVO implements Serializable
      {
       @Id @NotNull @Column(name="CLIENTID")
       public Long getId() {
       return id;
       }
       @OneToOne(cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
       @PrimaryKeyJoinColumn()
       public DrivingDistanceVO getDrivingDistance()
       {
       return drivingDistance;
       }
      ...}

Driving Distance
      @Entity
      @Table(name="FBDRVDSTNC")
      @Name("drivingDistance")
      public class DrivingDistanceVO implements Serializable
      {
       @Id @Column(name="CLIENTID")
       @GeneratedValue(generator="foreign")
       @GenericGenerator(name="foreign", strategy = "foreign", parameters={ @Parameter(name="property", value="client") })
       public Long getId() {
       return id;
       }
       @OneToOne(mappedBy="drivingDistance")
       public ClientVO getClient()
       {
       return client;
       }
      }

If I try to assign a driving distance to the client and save it:

ClientVO client=(ClientVO)q.getSingleResult();

DrivingDistanceVO vo2=new DrivingDistanceVO();
       //vo2.setId(new Long(225415));
       vo2.setLocation1(new Long(48254));
       vo2.setLocation2(new Long(171767));
       vo2.setUriString("http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif");
       if (client.getDrivingDistance()==null)
       {
       client.setDrivingDistance(vo2);
       em.merge(client);
       }

I get the following error:

javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.id.IdentifierGenerationException: attempted to assign id from null one-to-one property: client
       at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.throwPersistenceException(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:567)
       at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.merge(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:210)
       at com.idfbins.nexus.business.test.ClientDrivingDistanceTest.testClientDriveDistancePersist(ClientDrivingDistanceTest.java:63)
      Caused by: org.hibernate.id.IdentifierGenerationException: attempted to assign id from null one-to-one property: client
       at org.hibernate.id.ForeignGenerator.generate(ForeignGenerator.java:44)
       at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractSaveEventListener.saveWithGeneratedId(AbstractSaveEventListener.java:98)
       at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultMergeEventListener.entityIsTransient(DefaultMergeEventListener.java:165)
       at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultMergeEventListener.onMerge(DefaultMergeEventListener.java:102)
       at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultMergeEventListener.onMerge(DefaultMergeEventListener.java:51)
       at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireMerge(SessionImpl.java:679)
       at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.merge(SessionImpl.java:663)
       at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.merge(SessionImpl.java:667)
       at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.merge(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:201)
       ... 22 more
      ... Removed 21 stack frames

I have poured over the documentation and forums but can't understand why this is failing. I have seen others ask similar questions, but have not found any answers. I have noticed that if I call em.persist instead of em.merge I do not get this error. However, I thought that since the client already exists in the database that merge would be the appropriate method to call.

So, can anyone explain why I am getting the message "org.hibernate.id.IdentifierGenerationException: attempted to assign id from null one-to-one property: client
      " even after I have assigned the driving distance to the client ( client.setDrivingDistance(vo2);
      )