2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 5:06 PM by sfidai

Migrating from WebSphere  App Server to Jboss - what is equivalent of workmanager/workitem - multithreading in jboss

sfidai

Hi

I need help with implementing simple multithreading in jboss. We implemented it using Websphere App Server (v8.5) workmanager and workitem facility. Now that we are thinking to move to jboss, we want to make sure that there is an equivalent facility. We host webservices that dispenses data as per the request. In one particular usecase, we needed to return back to the caller once the request is found to be valid. The data query and delivery could come later and to be delivered through an alternative medium. Once the request found to be valid, we start a new thread which would continue running even after the main thread ends. The main thread returns "good" response and starts a new thread before ending. The newly started thread then queries the data, retrieves it, packages it and sends it over a MQ like facility.

But JBoss, I see in various forums multi-threading is discouraged. However, I see on the jboss admin console under profiles->subsystems-> core->threads place to specify thread factories and thread pool parameters. However, I have not been able to find any examples on how to use this information. Can anyone provide me a sample code that successfully implements multithreading using the thread factories and thread pool parameters setting?

We are looking at Red Hat JBoss EAP 6.2 on Redhat linux.

Thanks in advance,

Sadru Fidai