1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 7:47 AM by jaikiran

Questions on IBM WebSphere 8.5.5 to WildFly 9.0.2

yogendra.joshi

Hello Team,

FIrstly, I would like to congratulate Jaikiran and team for continuous development on the WildFly platform. I've been fan of this platform ever since it came out! I am currently working on converting our tightly integrated IBM application to WildFly 9.0.2. Some of the things that we use in our application are as follows. Each bullet has a question that require inputs from WildFly team:

• Network Deployment - We use a clustered environment which has multiple servers, nodes, nodegroups, deployment manager, etc. I know Wildfly has a domain mode which replicates IBM ND environment.
        • Question 1: Does WildFly has detailed documentation on above concepts
        • Question 2: Does WildFly provide deployment scripting support. WebSphere has wsadmin commands which could be invoked through ant which then integrates neat with Bamboo or any other CI server.
      • EJB 3.1 support - Most of the business layer comprises of EJBs and Business Objects. EJBs are implemented using EJB 3.1 specification. I understand WildFly is implemented on Java EE 7 and supports EJB 3.1 and 3.2.
        • Question: When I tried to deploy the same EAR from WebSphere 8.5.5. into WildFly 9.0.2, I got an error saying "beanInterface is required for <ModuleName>". I know this is NOT mandatory as per the spec or else IBM WAS also would have complained about this. How do I get this to work in WF? There are more than 2000 EJB's spread across 40 EJB modules, we are using @LocalBean as all of our SLSB are local to the WAS instance. It is not practical to go and add "beanInterface=NoInterfaceView.class" to each of the EJB annotations. Java EE 6 and Java EE 7, both the spec and online documentation mentions beanInterface as "Optional Elements".
      • The application currently uses shared libraries to access external libraries and in WAS its dead simple, create a shared library and reference the shared library in the class loader. How is this done in WF?
      • We currently use IBM WODM for business rules. I am assuming JBoss BRMS would be an ideal solution for converting the business rules. Is there a possibility to re-use the existing rules from IBM? Or is there a tool which would help us with the estimates of converting it to JBOSS BRMS? Something like JBoss WindUp, but for Rules?
      • How can I reference a specific JAR as JVM argument? In Websphere, I goto Generic JVM Arguments and add the path to the properties jar that I need at startup.
      • Lastly, I tried using JBoss Windup an our EAR which is 145MB and it just crashes everytime with OutOfMemoryError. Is there a way I could have WindUp run for days without being timed out or OutOfMemory?

I am very excited to learn about this new platform and how to get this as part of our new application server support!

Thanks,

Yogendra

• 1. Re: Questions on IBM WebSphere 8.5.5 to WildFly 9.0.2
          jaikiran

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

Hello Team,

FIrstly, I would like to congratulate Jaikiran and team for continuous development on the WildFly platform.

Thanks These days I'm not directly involved in the development. The WildFly team continues to work towards regular quality releases!

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• Network Deployment - We use a clustered environment which has multiple servers, nodes, nodegroups, deployment manager, etc. I know Wildfly has a domain mode which replicates IBM ND environment.
            • Question 1: Does WildFly has detailed documentation on above concepts

The documentation here https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY9/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Coremanagementconcepts might help.

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

Hello Team,

• Question 2: Does WildFly provide deployment scripting support. WebSphere has wsadmin commands which could be invoked through ant which then integrates neat with Bamboo or any other CI server.

Yes, management of the server can be done in multiple ways. There's Java API, scripting and other ways. This might help https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY9/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Managementclients

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• EJB 3.1 support - Most of the business layer comprises of EJBs and Business Objects. EJBs are implemented using EJB 3.1 specification. I understand WildFly is implemented on Java EE 7 and supports EJB 3.1 and 3.2.
            • Question: When I tried to deploy the same EAR from WebSphere 8.5.5. into WildFly 9.0.2, I got an error saying "beanInterface is required for <ModuleName>". I know this is NOT mandatory as per the spec or else IBM WAS also would have complained about this. How do I get this to work in WF? There are more than 2000 EJB's spread across 40 EJB modules, we are using @LocalBean as all of our SLSB are local to the WAS instance. It is not practical to go and add "beanInterface=NoInterfaceView.class" to each of the EJB annotations. Java EE 6 and Java EE 7, both the spec and online documentation mentions beanInterface as "Optional Elements".

Can you add more details about this one, including the entire exception stacktrace and the relevant configs? Preferably in a new thread, so that if it turns out to be an issue, it can be discussed separately.

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• The application currently uses shared libraries to access external libraries and in WAS its dead simple, create a shared library and reference the shared library in the class loader. How is this done in WF?

WildFly is based on JBoss Modules classloading Introduction - JBoss Modules - Project Documentation Editor which is a modular classloading project. You can create a JBoss module which you can then access (add as a dependency) from the deployments of your choice. More details here https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY9/Class+Loading+in+WildFly

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• We currently use IBM WODM for business rules. I am assuming JBoss BRMS would be an ideal solution for converting the business rules. Is there a possibility to re-use the existing rules from IBM? Or is there a tool which would help us with the estimates of converting it to JBOSS BRMS? Something like JBoss WindUp, but for Rules?

I'm not aware of these projects so don't know if it's possible. Someone from the BRMS team or Windup team might know more.

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• How can I reference a specific JAR as JVM argument? In Websphere, I goto Generic JVM Arguments and add the path to the properties jar that I need at startup.

It depends on what you do with that param/jar. Can you show an example, how you used to add that as a JVM argument?

Yogendra Joshi wrote:

• Lastly, I tried using JBoss Windup an our EAR which is 145MB and it just crashes everytime with OutOfMemoryError. Is there a way I could have WindUp run for days without being timed out or OutOfMemory?

Can you create a separate thread for this one with relevant details here WindUp? People who frequent that forum might be able to help.