1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 5:59 AM by jaysensharma

JBoss EAP vs JBoss AS

sreekanth.munarai

Hi All,

We are under plan of migration from community edition JBoss7.1.1AS to any stable JBoss EAP 6.2/6.4. My question are

1.what are all the advantages of having EAP in my production apart from Red-hat support.

2. Can i use JBoss AS 7.1.1 in Production environment without legal issues? 

Please share your advises re Pros/cons using EAP/community so that i can have discussion with my management. Thanks in advance. 

• 1. Re: JBoss EAP vs JBoss AS
          jaysensharma

1.what are all the advantages of having EAP in my production apart from Red-hat support.

>>> Following video will give you mode detailed explanation on why one should go for EAP in production environment rather than using the community release of JBoss.

Community or Enterprise: Which JBoss is best? - YouTube

Unlike JBossAS (community release), The JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP) is a rigorously tested, stable, supported platform for developing and deploying mission critical Java applications and services. It integrates code from the JBoss.org Application Server/Clustering project, JBoss Hibernate Framework, JSF, HornetQ into a single distribution with a single patch and update stream, multi-year maintenance policy. JBoss EAP is certified on various operating systems, many Database Management systems and JVM combinations.

See more on JBoss community or enterprise | Red Hat

2. Can i use JBoss AS 7.1.1 in Production environment without legal issues?

>>> It is based on "LGPL" License. Yes, you can use it in production without legal issues. You can refer to the "$JBOSS_HOME/LICENSE.txt" file to know more about what kind of licensing model does it follow.

>>> Little more information about "THE LGPL IS AN OPEN SOURCE LICENSE"

The LGPL allows you to do the following things with JBoss software:

1. Use JBoss software as a component of your business applications in any way you wish,including linking to JBoss from your own or other proprietary software.

2. Make unlimited copies of JBoss software without payment of royalties or license fees.

3. Distribute copies of JBoss software, although it will be much easier to refer anyone who wants copies directly to our website: www.jboss.org.

4. Make changes to JBoss if you need to do so for use within your own company. The LGPLlicense does not require you to share those internal changes with the rest of the community.

5. Distribute changed versions of JBoss to others, but if you distribute such changed versions you are required to share those changes with the rest of the community by publishing that changed source code under the LGPL.

This last item 5, known as the reciprocity obligation, is the most confusing to our customers because the words of the LGPL license don’t express this point quite this clearly. So we have prepared this explanation of the LGPL to reassure everyone that the LGPL is not a risky license.

Regards

Jay SenSharma