8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 12:52 PM by seamlearner

rich:autocomplete is not working

seamlearner

I am working on richfaces migration from 3.3 to 4.2. I am stuck with the replacement of rich:suggestionbox tag with rich:autocomplete tag.

Richfaces 3.3 code, (It is working code)

<rich:suggestionbox for="officerSrch" minChars="2" nothingLabel="No managers found"

suggestionAction="#{batchProcessor.searchOfficers}" fetchValue=""

var="o" eventsQueue="officerQueue"

height="270" width="480">  

<a4j:support event="onselect" action="#{accountLookupAction.add(o)}" reRender="params"/>                   

<h:column>

<f:facet name="header">

<h:outputText value="Employee ID"/>

</f:facet>

<h:outputText value="#{o.employeeId}"/>

</h:column>

<h:outputText value="First Name"/>

<h:outputText value="#{o.firstName}"/>

<h:outputText value="Last Name"/>

<h:outputText value="#{o.lastName}"/>

</rich:suggestionbox>

I have tried to migrate the above code in richfaces 4 like this,

<rich:autocomplete mode="cachedAjax" minChars="2" nothingLabel="No managers found"

autocompleteMethod="#{batchProcessor.searchOfficers}" fetchValue=""

var="o" eventsQueue="officerQueue" id="officerSrch"

</rich:autocomplete>

But it is not working. Can anyone please guide me to convert the above code to richfaces 4?

• 1. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
          michpetrov

What does "not working" mean? Describe what you're doing, what you expect to happen and what is actually happening. (nothingLabel, eventQueue, width and height are not valid attributes in RichFaces 4)

• 2. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
            seamlearner

Michal, Thank you for the response. Yesterday when I have posted this question, I was not sure how to replace rich:suggestionbox to rich:autocomplete. Today I have found the way to modify that.

<rich:suggestionbox for="officerSrch" minChars="2" nothingLabel="No managers found"

suggestionAction="#{batchProcessor.searchOfficers}" fetchValue=""

var="o" eventsQueue="officerQueue"

to

<rich:autocomplete id="officerSrch" minChars="2" nothingLabel="No managers found" mode="cachedAjax"

autocompleteMethod="#{batchProcessor.searchOfficers}" fetchValue="" layout="table"

var="o" eventsQueue="officerQueue" style="height:20px;background:url('img/magnifying-glass.png') no-repeat center right;vertical-align:middle;"

rich:autocomplete is not supporting <a4j:ajax> I am currently trying to fix that and also the header field is not displaying in the suggestions. The following screenshot taken from richfaces 3.3.

The following screenshot taken from richfaces 4

I am trying to figure it out. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• 3. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
              michpetrov

Headers are not working yes, we have an issue filed for that (I think) I'll look into it; a4j:ajax should be working though. As for the styling, if you look at the code you'll see @style is applied to the parent span, if you want to change the input you need to use either @styleClass (which puts the class on the parent element), or @inputClass.

• 4. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
                seamlearner

Michal,

I am working on the ajax functionality. I will take care of the look and feel issue. I have another issue, I couldn,'t use the mouse to go up and down of the values in the autocomplete. I can go through only with up and down arrow in the keyboard. Do you have any idea to fix this issue? I am using richfaces version 4.3.7.Final

• 5. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
                  michpetrov

Can you upgrade to 4.5? There's been a number of fixes and enhancements to autocomplete in the current branch.

• 6. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
                    seamlearner

Michal,

I have started working with richfaces 4.5.10.Final version. Do you know which version of facelet and jsf are compatible with this richfaces version 4.5.10.Final? Currently I am using JSF 2.1.28 and Facelet 1.1.15.B1. Also I am using Seam 2.3.@@

Thank you so much for the help. I have tried the following combinations

1) Richfaces 4.5.13 with JSF 2.2.6

2) Richfaces 4.5.13 with JSF 2.2.7

3) Richfaces 4.5.13 with JSF 2.2.10

4) Richfaces 4.5.13 with JSF 2.2.12

I have received the following error message when I have try to access the application.

15:32:18,875 ERROR [org.jboss.seam.exception.Exceptions] (http-/127.0.0.1:8080-5) handled and logged exception: javax.servlet.ServletException: (class: org/richfaces/view/facelets/AutocompleteHandler$1$2, method: applyMetadata signature: (Ljavax/faces/view/facelets/FaceletContext;Ljava/lang/Object;)V) Bad access to protected data

at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:606) [jboss-jsf-api_2.1_spec-2.1.28.Final-redhat-1.jar:2.1.28.Final-redhat-1]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:295) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:214) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:83) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.web.LoggingFilter.doFilter(LoggingFilter.java:60) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:69) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.web.IdentityFilter.doFilter(IdentityFilter.java:40) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:69) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.web.MultipartFilter.doFilter(MultipartFilter.java:90) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.web.ExceptionFilter.doFilter(ExceptionFilter.java:64) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.web.RedirectFilter.doFilter(RedirectFilter.java:45) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:158) [jboss-seam-2.3.0.Final.jar:2.3.0.Final]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:246) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:214) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:231) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:149) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.jboss.as.jpa.interceptor.WebNonTxEmCloserValve.invoke(WebNonTxEmCloserValve.java:50) [jboss-as-jpa-7.4.0.Final-redhat-19.jar:7.4.0.Final-redhat-19]

at org.jboss.as.jpa.interceptor.WebNonTxEmCloserValve.invoke(WebNonTxEmCloserValve.java:50) [jboss-as-jpa-7.4.0.Final-redhat-19.jar:7.4.0.Final-redhat-19]

at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.java:169) [jboss-as-web-7.4.0.Final-redhat-19.jar:7.4.0.Final-redhat-19]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:145) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:97) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:102) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:344) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:653) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:926) [jbossweb-7.4.8.Final-redhat-4.jar:7.4.8.Final-redhat-4]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [rt.jar:1.7.0_11]

Can you please guide me which version of JSF I can use with Richfaces 4.5.13 or 4.5.10?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
                      michpetrov

You need to use at least 2.1.28 or 2.2.6, Facelets are integrated in JSF 2 so you don't need the other jar. Seam might not be compatible with RichFaces 4.5 though.

• 8. Re: rich:autocomplete is not working
                        seamlearner

Michal,

Thank you so much for your help. I have upgraded to 4.5.13.Final version. rich:autocomplete component is working as expected other than the header.

Also rich:autocomplete is passing only String value (not object). I have passed the String and updated coding in my application. Here is the solution, It will be helpful for someone

<rich:autocomplete mode="cachedAjax" minChars="2" autofill="false" selectFirst="false"

autocompleteMethod="#{batchProcessor.searchOfficers}" id="officerSrch" layout="table" fetchValue="#{o.employeeId}"

value="#{accountLookupAction.empId}" var="o" eventsQueue="officerQueue" height="270" width="480"> 

<a4j:ajax event="selectitem" listener="#{accountLookupAction.addOfficer()}" render="params"/>

</rich:autocomplete>