3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 4:42 PM by slumbergiant

Database schema generation with Annotations

hubaghdadi

Hi.
      Usually, I use Hibernate hbm files to generate my database schema.
      Is it possible to generate database schema if I use Hibernate annotations instead of hbm files?
      Thanks.

• 1. Re: Database schema generation with Annotations
          ijb

yes

• 2. Re: Database schema generation with Annotations
            ijb

I am sorry I've clicked button too soon. Here is a sample from one of our targets that does exactly that:

<target name="schemaexport" depends="compile" description="Exports a generated schema to DB and file">
             <hibernatetool destdir="${source.root}">
             <annotationconfiguration configurationfile="${class.root}/hibernate.cfg.xml"/>

<hbm2ddl drop="true" create="true" />
             </hibernatetool>
             </target>

• 3. Re: Database schema generation with Annotations

I've done the rounds on google, but dead-ended in jar versioning or other issues, such as the relevant hibernate docs pages 404ing. What seemed like a nifty idea using pojos -> schema generation has turned into a 16 hour waste of time.

I have to ask if there is a simple project somebody can post listing jar files and where to get the _correct_ versions that work together, the necessary xml files (ant, hibernate, perisistence whatever) just something that can produce a .sql file for a simple java class.

I tried this thinking it would be easier than generating db tables and reverse engineering it, but unfortunately this isn't the case. I have to say this exercise hasn't save me any grief or typing. I could have developed the tables and written by hand the java classes in this amount of time.

Sorry to send a nasty-gram, but that has been my experience.