6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 11:38 AM by jbertram

HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer

arnab_ghosh

Hi All,

We are using Wildfly 8.2.0.Final. I seeing the below exceptions on the Wildfly instance which deploys the JMS Queues.

2016-02-17 17:23:50,963 ERROR [org.hornetq.core.server] (Thread-22 (HornetQ-server-HornetQServerImpl::serverUUID=fa9f3bb2-bb08-11e5-b71a-e7c40d5c561c-673764043)) HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException

at java.nio.ByteBuffer.array(ByteBuffer.java:994) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at org.hornetq.core.server.impl.ServerConsumerImpl$LargeMessageDeliverer.deliver(ServerConsumerImpl.java:1097) [hornetq-server-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at org.hornetq.core.server.impl.ServerConsumerImpl$2.run(ServerConsumerImpl.java:976) [hornetq-server-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at org.hornetq.utils.OrderedExecutorFactory$OrderedExecutor$1.run(OrderedExecutorFactory.java:104) [hornetq-core-client-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

2016-02-17 17:23:50,965 ERROR [org.hornetq.core.server] (Thread-6 (HornetQ-server-HornetQServerImpl::serverUUID=fa9f3bb2-bb08-11e5-b71a-e7c40d5c561c-673764043)) HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException

at java.nio.ByteBuffer.array(ByteBuffer.java:994) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at org.hornetq.core.server.impl.ServerConsumerImpl$LargeMessageDeliverer.deliver(ServerConsumerImpl.java:1097) [hornetq-server-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at org.hornetq.core.server.impl.ServerConsumerImpl$2.run(ServerConsumerImpl.java:976) [hornetq-server-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at org.hornetq.utils.OrderedExecutorFactory$OrderedExecutor$1.run(OrderedExecutorFactory.java:104) [hornetq-core-client-2.4.5.Final.jar:]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [rt.jar:1.8.0_66]

There are almost 2000 messages stuck in the queue which are not getting delivered.

In the largemessages directory I am seeing a few messages with 0 size. I tried deleting those files and restart but no the .msg files got recreated.

Please help.

Regards

Arnab

• 1. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
          arnab_ghosh

We are using SAN storage for hornetQ persistence and jre 1.8.0_66. Please let me know if more information is required.

• 2. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
            jbertram

One key question is why do you have "large" messages of size 0.  Do you have clients publishing "large" messages with no actual body?

FYI - This was addressed upstream in Artemis on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-331.

• 3. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
              arnab_ghosh

Justin,

Clients are sending object messages I will definitely verify if they are ever sending null.

If the body is indeed null, how is the message getting classified as a large message ? Is it not based on the message size ?

My address settings is as below:

<address-setting match="#">

<dead-letter-address>jms.queue.DLQ</dead-letter-address>

<expiry-address>jms.queue.ExpiryQueue</expiry-address>

<redelivery-delay>5000</redelivery-delay>

<max-size-bytes>10485760</max-size-bytes>

<page-size-bytes>2097152</page-size-bytes>

<address-full-policy>PAGE</address-full-policy>

<message-counter-history-day-limit>10</message-counter-history-day-limit>

<max-delivery-attempts>10</max-delivery-attempts>

</address-setting>

• 4. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
                arnab_ghosh

is there a way to just delete these null messages so the others go through ? I tried stopping all the servers and removing .msg file which shows size as zero but it did not work. The files got re-created.

• 5. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
                  jbertram

Messaging can be detected by the server as large and treated as such or a client may force them to be large.  You need to determine what exactly the clients are doing.

• 6. Re: HQ224045: Failed to run large message deliverer
                    jbertram

Ostensibly, you can shut down the server, remove the large messages, and restart the server.  However, if clients continue to send large messages with a zero-length body then they'll just come back.  I'm assuming here that the zero-length messages are coming directly from clients and are not being caused by some other kind of bug.