6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 7:48 AM by medi84

Container-managed transactions logging?!

Hello,

I'm using JPA (Hibernate implementation) with JBoss 5.1 AS. Transaction management strategy is containter-managed JTA. I'm wondering if there is any way to log begin and end of a container-managed transaction on JBoss AS?!

I tried org.hibernate.transaction, com.arjuna, org.jboss.tm loggers but none of them works. I tried to find already existing posts on this subject, also tried Google, but found no word about this ...

• 1. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!
          jaikiran

The com.arjuna package does provide logs related to transactions. But i am not sure those are clear enough to help you understand when a transaction has started or ended.
          Why do you need such logs, by the way?

• 2. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!
            kickmetoandy

we are having the same issue. we would like to see when a transaction start and when it ends. the most interesting case is problaby the rollback of a transaction, without having to check the db if the transaction was successfully rolled back or not. i have enabled all the com.arjuna packages with

<category name="com.arjuna">
             <priority value="TRACE"/>
            </category>

however the additional log messages are of no value at all :-(

• 3. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!

"jaikiran" wrote:
              The com.arjuna package does provide logs related to transactions. But i am not sure those are clear enough to help you understand when a transaction has started or ended.
              Why do you need such logs, by the way?

I found no use of those logs. I really can't believe that there is no transaction logging facility for JTA transactions. What, JBoss developers thought that we can be confident with EJB TransactionAttribute rules by themselves, and be aware of when transactions begin/commit/rollback during development?! Is that so?! :-(

• 4. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!
                vickyk

"KickMeToAndy" wrote:

however the additional log messages are of no value at all :-(

wdym?
                You will not be able to see the logs unless you make the changes in the corresponding jbossjta-properties.xml file too.
                change 0x00000000 to 0xffffffff for DebugLevel/FacilityLevel/VisibilityLevel.

• 5. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!
                  vickyk

"medi84" wrote:
                  What, JBoss developers thought that we can be confident with EJB TransactionAttribute rules by themselves, and be aware of when transactions begin/commit/rollback during development?! Is that so?! :-(

Yes, enable the JbossTS logging and investigate what is happening at JTA side.
                  It would be hard to believe that you are hitting a bug in JTA !

• 6. Re: Container-managed transactions logging?!

Sorry for being cynicly harsh, but I didn't want my question to stay unanswered. :-)

Changing DebugLevel value from to 0x00000000 to 0xffffffff in jbossts-properties.xml enabled JTA transaction logging. So, I have:
                    - DEBUG [com.arjuna.ats.jta.logging.logger] BaseTransaction.begin
                    - DEBUG [com.arjuna.ats.jta.logging.logger] BaseTransaction.commit
                    messages in my logs.

Thanks.