4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 9:18 AM by johnnuy

JBeret JDBC Job Repository in EAP 7 Beta

johnnuy

Hi,

I'm doing some investigation into the usability of the JBeret integration with EAP 7.  Configured as follows in my standalone.xml

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:batch-jberet:1.0">

<default-job-repository name="db"/>

<default-thread-pool name="batch"/>

<job-repository name="db">

<jdbc data-source="JBeretDS"/>

</job-repository>

<thread-pool name="batch">

<max-threads count="10"/>

<keepalive-time time="30" unit="seconds"/>

</thread-pool>

</subsystem>

I'm finding that if the jboss server is killed/crashed while a job is Running, that job will always return when I call the BatchRuntime.getJobOperator().getRunningExecutions("myJob").

Additionally the batch status of the JobExecution will return STARTED.

Maybe i'm missing something, but is there a way to detemine which jobs have been interrupted and are in this state?

• 1. Re: JBeret JDBC Job Repository in EAP 7 Beta
          jamezp

The problem is during a crash there's no way to update the state of a job since the process is being destroyed. During a controlled shutdown the running jobs should all be stopped and go into a STOPPED status.

You can however restart jobs in that state. See [JBERET-154] Support restarting killed or crashed job execution - JBoss Issue Tracker for details about adding the jberet.restart.mode property to the restart.

--

James R. Perkins

• 2. Re: JBeret JDBC Job Repository in EAP 7 Beta
            johnnuy

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply and the link to the restart property.  The part I'm stuck at is programmatically detecting which jobs that are currently in a "STARTING", "STARTED" or "STOPPING" state, need to be restarted without having someone look at them.

I could write some code to validate the interval since the job status changed, against an expected interval for that status, but this would be a job specific calculation and not entirely reliable.

Is it possible to modify the behaviour of the getRunningExecutions() method to not return these jobs that need to be restarted?

• 3. Re: JBeret JDBC Job Repository in EAP 7 Beta
              jamezp

I can't think of a way for JBeret to know which jobs would require restarting.

Depending on your jobs are started you could use a @Startup EJB to query jobs in the STARTING, STARTED or STOPPING state and restart them. This could get a bit messy though if you have jobs being submitted immediately after a restart of the container.

--

James R. Perkins

• 4. Re: JBeret JDBC Job Repository in EAP 7 Beta
                johnnuy

Ok thanks, delaying the job creation until all jobs have been recovered isn't the end of the world.