3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 3:44 AM by jaikiran

Class Not Found Exception for com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

jseanjensen

I'm using Wildfly 10 and my datasource in the standalone.xml is:

<datasources>

<datasource jta="true" jndi-name="java:/MySqlDS" pool-name="MySQL_AAA" enabled="true" use-ccm="true">

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/aaa</connection-url>

<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>

<driver>mysql-connector-java-5.1.35-bin.jar_com.mysql.jdbc.Driver_5_1</driver>

<security>

<user-name>root</user-name>

<password>root</password>

</security>

<validation>

<valid-connection-checker class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.extensions.mysql.MySQLValidConnectionChecker"/>

<background-validation>true</background-validation>

<exception-sorter class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.extensions.mysql.MySQLExceptionSorter"/>

</validation>

</datasource>

I'm running this code in my Java bean:

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");

and I get this error message:

10:29:59,210 ERROR [stderr] (default task-15) java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver from [Module "deployment.AAA_5.war:main" from Service Module Loader]

10:29:59,210 ERROR [stderr] (default task-15) at org.jboss.modules.ModuleClassLoader.findClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:198)

I read documentation that said I needed to have the driver in my lib folder but that didn't work.  I'm sure the solution is simple but I don't see it.  Can someone point me in the right direction.  Some documentation that I can use as a resource would be great.

• 1. Re: Class Not Found Exception for com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
          jaikiran

Sean Jensen wrote:

I'm using Wildfly 10 and my datasource in the standalone.xml is:

<datasources>

<datasource jta="true" jndi-name="java:/MySqlDS" pool-name="MySQL_AAA" enabled="true" use-ccm="true">

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/aaa</connection-url>

<driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>

<driver>mysql-connector-java-5.1.35-bin.jar_com.mysql.jdbc.Driver_5_1</driver>

That version of MySQL JDBC driver is a Type 4 JDBC driver, which means that you don't have to use the Class.forName(...) statement for loading the driver in your code. So you just remove this from your code:

Sean Jensen wrote:

I'm running this code in my Java bean:

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");

and things should work fine. More details about that are here https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/DriverManager.html

The DriverManager methods getConnection and getDrivers have been enhanced to support the Java Standard Edition Service Provider mechanism. JDBC 4.0 Drivers must include the file META-INF/services/java.sql.Driver. This file contains the name of the JDBC drivers implementation of java.sql.Driver. For example, to load the my.sql.Driver class, the META-INF/services/java.sql.Driver file would contain the entry:

my.sql.Driver 

Applications no longer need to explicitly load JDBC drivers using Class.forName(). Existing programs which currently load JDBC drivers using Class.forName() will continue to work without modification. 

• 2. Re: Class Not Found Exception for com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
            jseanjensen

You were on the right track.  I took that line out and got another error message.  It turns out I didn't know how to get the datasource and once I got it the rest was pretty straightforward.  This is what I ended up using after taking out the Class.forName("java:MySQLDS") line.

import javax.sql.DataSource;

import javax.naming.InitialContext;

InitialContext context = new InitialContext();

DataSource datasource = (DataSource) context.lookup("java:/MySqlDS");

JasperPrint jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport(jasperReport, parameters, datasource.getConnection());

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• 3. Re: Class Not Found Exception for com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
              jaikiran

Sean Jensen wrote:

JasperPrint jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport(jasperReport, parameters, datasource.getConnection());

Be sure you close that connection when done or else it will cause a connection leak. You can you the try-resources feature of Java to do this, something like:

try (final Connection connection = datasource.getConnection();) {

JasperPrint jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport(jasperReport, parameters, connection);   

}