3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 12:59 PM by Sébastien Andre

Remote EJB (using remote-naming) with JAAS authentication (for secured ejb)

Sébastien Andre Newbie

Hi,

I'm migrating a standalone java application that calls ejb on J2EE server for now calling EJBs on a WildFly 9.0.2 J2EE server (maybe Widfly 10 for customers using java 8+)

The java application calls EJBs and use JAAS for authentication.

On the server side, we use the SessionContext.getCallerPrincipal() for handle our in-app session mechanism.

At this time, the client side seems to be correctly authenticated (i have a JAAS Subject)

but on the ejb, when i call SessionContext.getCallerPrincipal() , i have always "anonymous"

I have  to say that the ejb call succeed but without any caller identity information

The subject on the client side looks like

Objet :

Principal : 4628796b-723f-42b6-b14d-8a88444fed02

Principal : Roles(members)

Principal : CallerPrincipal(members:4628796b-723f-42b6-b14d-8a88444fed02)

Principal : username

I resume here relevant code that i use:

For the JNDI lookup, i use this code:

private static synchronized javax.naming.Context initClientContextJNDI() {

Properties props = new Properties();

try {

// java.naming.factory.initial

props.put( Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY , "org.jboss.naming.remote.client.InitialContextFactory" );

// java.naming.provider.url

props.put( Context.PROVIDER_URL , "http-remoting://localhost:8081" );

// java.naming.factory.url.pkgs

props.put( "jboss.naming.client.ejb.context" , true );

return new javax.naming.InitialContext(props);

}

catch(Exception e){ e.printStackTrace(); }

return null;

}

For the JAAS authentication, i use this code :

System.setProperty("java.security.auth.login.config", new File("xxxxxx\\wildfly9.config").getAbsolutePath() );

ApplicationCallbackHandler handler   = new ApplicationCallbackHandler();

LoginContext  loginContext = new LoginContext( "application" , handler );

loginContext.login();

Subject subject = loginContext.getSubject();

System.out.println("Authentification:" + subject );

The ApplicationCallbackHandler can fill credentials for callbacks NameCallback and PasswordCallback

The wildfly9.config giving the JAAS login context configuration is like;

application {

// Login Module to use custom authentication

mycie.util.jaas.PasswordLoginModule required;

// Login Module to use for WILDFLY Authentication

org.jboss.security.ClientLoginModule required;

};

The PasswordLoginModule extends AbstractServerLoginModule and set

• a SimplePrincipal with a unique session id
      • a SimpleGroup named "Roles"  (found this from some documentation)

On the server side, my EJB is configured as follow:

@Stateless

@Local(TestLocal.class)

@Remote(Test.class)

@PermitAll

@SecurityDomain(value="mycie")

public class TestBean implements Test , TestLocal {

private static final double TX = 6.55957d;

@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)

public double euroToFranc(double euro) {

System.out.println("caller: " + getSessionContext().getCallerPrincipal() );

return euro * TX;

}

}

I set the @PermitAll for enable SecurityInterceptor (i readed that from EJB 3.1 specs)

But from some jboss/wildfly documentations, i readed that we should set the @SecurityDomain (i tried with or without it)

That where my knowledge in wildfly limit me. i'm thinking i may have configuration issues related to the security-domain

I created a security-realm like this:

<security-realm name="MyCieRealm">

<authentication>

<jaas name="MyCie"/>

</authentication>

</security-realm>

In the subsystem urn:jboss:domain:ejb3:3.0 , the http-remoting-connector didn't specify any security-realm

• if i set one, it's shared by the remote-naming when i perform JNDI. But i didn't want credentials for the JNDI lookup.

In the subsystem urn:jboss:domain:security:1.2, i created a security-domain:

<security-domain name="MyCie" cache-type="default">

<authentication>

<login-module code="Remoting" flag="optional">

<module-option name="password-stacking" value="useFirstPass"/>

</login-module>

<login-module code="mycie.util.jaas.CustomLoginModule" flag="required" module="mycie_domain"/>

</authentication>

</security-domain>

This security-domain is a random try from some code snipped found on the web but i didn't understand what i should do here !!!

(i created a module mycie_domain with small jar and a small CustomLoginModule accepting the authentication, but it doesn't seems to be used because i  set a breakpoint and never be suspended on these code)

I'm a newbie in WildFly, i tried to be the most complete as possible for giving you efficients informations.

If you need some other kind of informations, don't hesitate.

Any help are welcome

Best regards,

Sébastien.

• 1. Re: Remote EJB (using remote-naming) with JAAS authentication (for secured ejb)
          Sébastien Andre Newbie

Hi,

Following this article JBoss AS 7 : Remote EJB Authentication Howto

I'm be able to do a simple authentication from the client and have the propagated identity on SessionContext.getCallerPrincipal().

But this design did'nt fit well in my case because:

• Credentials have to be set inside the InitialContext with theses properties (on the client side)
            • java.naming.security.principal
            • java.naming.security.credentials
          • It didn't use jaas on the client side for performing the authentication
            • I want to use a custom login module (on the client side) performing the authentication (calling an ejb for the auth process)
          • I don't want to secure the jndi lookup, i want to be able to lookup ejb ref.

Any idea ?

• 2. Re: Remote EJB (using remote-naming) with JAAS authentication (for secured ejb)
            Sébastien Andre Newbie

After many tries, i did some progress.

On the client side:

- Use a custom login module on the client side that perform a custom authentication (for now it did nothing real)

- Use the ClientLoginModule from jboss

On the server side:

- Use a custom JAAS login module linked to the security-domain used by our ear

on the server, the configuration is like this:

<security-realm name="OurApplicationRealm">

<authentication>

<jaas name="OurApplicationJAASDomain"/>

</authentication>

</security-realm>

<security-domain name="OurApplicationJAASDomain" cache-type="default">

<authentication>

</login-module>

<login-module code="mycie.util.jaas.ServerCustomLoginModule" module="mycie.util.jaas" flag="required"/>

</authentication>

</security-domain>

One another important things was to remove the security-realm on this line:

<http-connector name="http-remoting-connector" connector-ref="default" />

The ServerCustomLoginModule is bundled in a module in modules/layers/base/mycie/util/jaas/main as follow:

• A jar file "MyCieJAASDomain.jar"
            • a module.xml file with this contents:

<module xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.3" name="mycie.util.jaas">

<resources>

<resource-root path="MyCieJAASDomain.jar"/>

</resources>

<dependencies>

<module name="org.picketbox"/>

<module name="javax.api"/>

</dependencies>

</module>

Now, the ServerCustomLoginModule is called but when a inspect the CallbackHandler with a NameCallback, PasswordCallback, SecurityAssociationCallback and ObjectCallback it is always refering to such anonymous credentials.

I was thinking that the server login module will receive such informations taking from the ClientLoginModule ?

If someone know what is the issue, i would be very happy to share the solution

Best regards,

Sébastien.

• 3. Re: Remote EJB (using remote-naming) with JAAS authentication (for secured ejb)
              Sébastien Andre Newbie

So,

i'm always working on this stuff. At this time i didn't found a way that allow me to migration from my previous EE server to wildfly.

In my last attempt, i did:

<http-connector name="http-remoting-connector" connector-ref="default" security-realm="myAppRealm" />

The realm is configured as follow:

<security-realm name="myAppRealm">

<authentication>

<jaas name="myAppDomain"/>

</authentication>

</security-realm>

And the security-domain as follow:

<security-domain name="myAppDomain" cache-type="default">

<authentication>

</login-module>

<login-module code="mycie.util.jaas.ServerLoginModule" module="mycie.util.jaas" flag="required"/>

</authentication>

</security-domain>

On the client side, i use remote-naming as follow without using JAAS:

Properties props = new Properties();

try {

// java.naming.factory.initial

props.put( Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY , "org.jboss.naming.remote.client.InitialContextFactory" );

// java.naming.provider.url

props.put( Context.PROVIDER_URL , "http-remoting://localhost:8081" );

// java.naming.security.principal

props.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, "mylogin" );

// java.naming.security.credentials

props.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, "mypassword");

props.put( "jboss.naming.client.ejb.context" , true );

// will use PLAIN SASL mechanism.... O_o

props.put("jboss.naming.client.connect.options.org.xnio.Options.SASL_POLICY_NOANONYMOUS"    , "false" );

props.put("jboss.naming.client.connect.options.org.xnio.Options.SASL_POLICY_NOPLAINTEXT"    , "false" );

props.put("jboss.naming.client.connect.options.org.xnio.Options.SASL_DISALLOWED_MECHANISMS" , "JBOSS-LOCAL-USER" );

javax.naming.Context ctx = new javax.naming.InitialContext(props);

return ctx;

}

catch(Exception e){ e.printStackTrace(); }

return null;

So, the authentication works, my JAAS module on the server is called like a charm.

But:

• I did'nt found a way to configure the client and/or the server to use another SASL mechanism than PLAIN
                • If i remove the NOPLAINTEXT property, the authentication fails with "No SASL mechanism found"
              • I didn't find anyway to  disable SASL.

• My java client, must call EJBs with differents credentials. At this time with the previous EE server, i bound a SecurityContext to the caller thread before calling an EJB method.
                With Wildfly, I tried to have by example 2 InitialContext using 2 differents credentials, I  lookup 2 EJB ref from theses InitialContext and perform method invocation.
                But as soon as i lookup the second EJB ref from the second InitialContext, it seems to break the context for the first ref. If i call a method on the first ref i have a EJBCLIENT000025: No EJB receiver available for handling... (i have the same result if lookup are done in differents threads)
              • At the end, i would disable SASL and use an authentication method on the client side that allow me to register a kind of a SecurityContext to the caller thread in order to select the credentials to use. Is it a way to achieve this ? i looked about SecurityClient.setSimple(....) but didn't find a way to work with because as long an SASL layer is involved, i must set credentials on the InitialContext and in this case it seems to take precedence over the SecurityClient.setSimple(...)

Any advice are welcome, it's starting to killing me...

Best regards,

Sébastien.