4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 11:52 AM by andey

Binding a JNDI name from a remote client

kc7bfi

I have a Java application that connects to my WildFly 10 server. I want to be able to bind a name for my client into the JNDI on the standalone WildFly server. I am trying to bind the name: java:/Name-1 However, I keep getting the error:

Unexpected internal error: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: WFLYNAM0043: Naming context is read-only

at org.jboss.as.naming.WritableServiceBasedNamingStore.requireOwner(WritableServiceBasedNamingStore.java:161)

at org.jboss.as.naming.WritableServiceBasedNamingStore.rebind(WritableServiceBasedNamingStore.java:109)

at org.jboss.as.naming.NamingContext.rebind(NamingContext.java:301)

at org.jboss.naming.remote.protocol.v1.Protocol$3.handleServerMessage(Protocol.java:335)

at org.jboss.naming.remote.protocol.v1.RemoteNamingServerV1$MessageReciever$1.run(RemoteNamingServerV1.java:73)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Is it possible to bind a name to WildFly's JNDI from a remote client? If so, can you point me in the right direction as what I am doing wrong? Thanks, David

• 1. Re: Binding a JNDI name from a remote client
          andey

The error which you mentioned like [WFLYNAM0043: Naming context is read-only]   you will get if you will try to bind custom objects to read only contexts

like  "java:module" or "java:module", "java:comp" ......etc"

InitialContext ic = new InitialContext(); 

aaa.bbb.Test  test = new aaa.bbb.Test(); 

ic.rebind("java:app/SomeProcess",test);     // WRONG 

//  OR 

ic.rebind("java:module/SomeProcess",test);        // WRONG 

//  OR 

ic.rebind("java:comp/SomeProcess",test);     // WRONG         

• 2. Re: Binding a JNDI name from a remote client
            kc7bfi

Thanks for the clarification. What are the contexts that are writable? I've tried java:global and java: all with the same read-only error. David

• 3. Re: Binding a JNDI name from a remote client
              kc7bfi

This is how I am setting up my remote client to bind to WildFly's JNDI

Properties jndiProperties = new Properties();

jndiProperties.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jboss.naming.remote.client.InitialContextFactory");

jndiProperties.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, "jmsuser");

jndiProperties.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, "jm5us3r");

jndiProperties.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "http-remoting://" + host1 + ":8080");

TheInitialContext = new InitialContext(jndiProperties);

David

• 4. Re: Binding a JNDI name from a remote client
                andey

Are there any jndi.properties files in any of your applications, if so, they should be removed

Are there any system properties set such as -Djava.naming.provider.url

Make sure new InitialContext() is used and no properties are being passed in.

Section EE.5.3.4 of the Java EE spec says:

The container must ensure that the application component instances have only

read access to their naming context. The container must throw the

javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException from all the methods of the

javax.naming.Context interface that modify the environment naming context and

its subcontexts.

It seems pretty natural and handy to allow one application publish something to the JNDI at runtime and let other application to access it.

The easiest way to bind those objects would be to use a @javax.ejb.Startup @javax.ejb.Singleton and bind them in @PostConstruct method. You won't have to do anything additional and you won't even need the sar (assuming that's the only thing you are using it for):

~~~

@Singleton 

@Startup 

public class SomeServiceManager { 

@PostConstruct 

private void onConstruct() { 

Context context = new InitialContext(); 

try { 

context.bind(SERVICE_NAME, this); // where SERVICE_NAME is "java:/SomeServiceManager" or similar 

} catch(NamingException e ) { 

logger.error("Failed to bind name in context", e); 

} 

~~~

Is that something that you want to try?