1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 11:47 AM by ctomc

Migration from JBoss EAP 4.3 to Jboss EAP 7.0 || for Java8 and WMQ 8.0 support.

max016

Hi All,

Our migration project is at critical stage as application is already in production and we want to upgrade middle ware with minimal code and configuration change.

I think it would be better if I explain my case in three sections : 1) What we are using. 2) What we want. 3) What we know.

1) What we are using:

• We are using JBoss EAP 4.3 server on which we have configured our ESB functionality. (This was implemented 10 years ago so we don't know how and why it was used moreover I couldn't download fresh JBoss EAP 4.3 to compare as that version is not available, last available version is 6.1.0 Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform Download | Red Hat Developers )
      • In jboss-eap-4.3/jboss-as/server/devenv/deploy/ourproject.esb we have kept our extracted project, there are many other folders inside deploy folder as shown in below image. I think these all are just out of the box functionality JBoss EAP 4.3 provides. 

• In jboss-eap-4.3/jboss-as/server/devenv/conf we have jboss-service.xml in which we have WMQ related configuration. Basically we have subscribed to one or two topics here.
      • Inside project we have jboss-esb.xml file which polls different folder paths and triggers actions when there is new file available on that path
      <?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>
      <jbossesb xmlns="http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossesb/trunk/product/etc/schemas/xml/jbossesb-1.0.1.xsd parameterReloadSecs="5">
        <fs-provider name="FSprovider1">
             <fs-bus busid="startIntegrationChannel">
                  <fs-message-filter directory="/dev/apps/indata"
                  input-suffix=".start" work-suffix=".startProcessing" post-delete="true"
                  error-de     lete="true" />
             </fs-bus>
             <fs-bus busid="startIntegrationEsbChannel">
                  <fs-message-filter directory="/dev/apps/indata"
                  input-suffix=".startESB" post-delete="true" error-delete="true" />
             </fs-bus>
        </fs-provider>

<service category="FilePolling" name="OurESBService"  description="Poll to folder path and trigger below actions on addition of new file">
             <listeners>
                  <fs-listener name="Gateway-Listener" busidref="startIntegrationChannel"  maxThreads="1" is-gateway="true" schedule-frequency="10">
                  </fs-listener>
                  <!-- probably below listener is not being used as is-gatewaay="true" is not given -->
                  <fs-listener name="ESB-Listener" busidref="startIntegrationEsbChannel"  maxThreads="1" />
                  </listeners>
             <actions mep="OneWay">
                  <action name="FirstMapInput" class="com.project.actions.FirstMapInputAction" process="mapInput">
                       <property name="inputDir" value="/dev/apps/indata" />
                       <property name="archiveDir" value="/dev/apps/archive" />
                       <property name="errorDir" value="/dev/apps/errors" />
                       <property name="inputSuffix" value=".start" />
                       <property name="workSuffix" value=".inProcess" />
                       <property name="exceptionMethod" value="handleException" />
                  </action>
                  <action name="CustomAction" class="com.project.actions.CustomAction" process="customTasks">
                  </action>
                  <action name="CompleteAction" class="com.project.actions.CompleteAction" process="markComplete">
                  </action>
             </actions>
        </service>
      </jbossesb>

2) What we want.

• We want to perform above same functionality of polling the folder paths and listing to MQ topics with upgrade of JDK version 1.5 to 1.8 and WMQ RA version from 4.X to 8.X. I came to know that minimal version which supports JDK 8 is JBoss EAP 7 that is why we are planning to migrate to that version. (If any earlier version of JBoss EAP supports JDK 8 we are ok with that version as well.)
      • We can migrate to any other ESB provider like apache camel, muel ESB, web methods etc if it provides support for JDK 8 and WMQ 8.X and configuration change is less.

3) What we know

• JBoss EAP 7 is paid version and we are ready for buying the license for the same
      • Conf folder of EAP 7 does not support jboss-service.xml but we will need to incorporate all change in standalone..xml only.
        • 1. Re: Migration from JBoss EAP 4.3 to Jboss EAP 7.0 || for Java8 and WMQ 8.0 support.
          ctomc

We are using JBoss EAP 4.3 server on which we have configured our ESB functionality. (This was implemented 10 years ago so we don't know how and why it was used moreover I couldn't download fresh JBoss EAP 4.3 to compare as that version is not available, last available version is 6.1.0 Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform Download | Red Hat Developers )

You can grab all JBoss EAP versions from customer portal at https://access.redhat.com/jbossnetwork/restricted/listSoftware.html?downloadType=distributions&product=appplatform

Including EAP 4.3.

In jboss-eap-4.3/jboss-as/server/devenv/deploy/ourproject.esb we have kept our extracted project, there are many other folders inside deploy folder as shown in below image. I think these all are just out of the box functionality JBoss EAP 4.3 provides.

I don't think so, it looks like you have SOA Platform 4.3.x which is an product built on top of EAP 4.3.x

There ware quite many newer versions of SOA platform released as well, you can grab them at https://access.redhat.com/jbossnetwork/restricted/listSoftware.html?downloadType=distributions&product=soaplatform

But all that is legacy now days.

Migrating to latest release of EAP, would not work directly as you are planning to.

Current SOA offering is based on switchard / fuse, and would need some more work for migration.

• We want to perform above same functionality of polling the folder paths and listing to MQ topics with upgrade of JDK version 1.5 to 1.8 and WMQ RA version from 4.X to 8.X. I came to know that minimal version which supports JDK 8 is JBoss EAP 7 that is why we are planning to migrate to that version. (If any earlier version of JBoss EAP supports JDK 8 we are ok with that version as well.)
          • We can migrate to any other ESB provider like apache camel, muel ESB, web methods etc if it provides support for JDK 8 and WMQ 8.X and configuration change is less.

You could look into jboss switchyard or wildfly camel both of which support JDK8 and running on EAP7 (or WildFly 10)

I think that one of the above would be better fit than migrating whole system to latest jbossesb / fuse

2 of 2 people found this helpful