3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 5:38 AM by afe038

Wildfly 10 & 11 performance issue compared with GlassFish

afe038

Hi,

I'm running a J2EE application on WildFly 10 and PostgreSQL 9.6 integrated using data-sources and JPA. When running a certain function (listing all sales agents and their balance) I get a huge delay (~10 seconds) in loading the results. When I execute the same function on GlassFish 4.2.1 application server the results are loaded much faster (2 seconds). One strange thing I noticed while monitoring the DB server, when I execute the function via Wildfly I get ~2000 transactions/second and when I execute it with GlassFish I get ~500 transactions / second.

On Wildfly, I have tried to change many configuration parameters (to increase the heap memory allocation, data source connection pool number of threads and buffer cache size, IO parameters) but still the same situation, whereas, on GlassFish, I'm using the default settings. I also tried to deploy the application on Wildfly 11 and still the same issue.

I'm also checking the HW performance and I don't seen any bottleneck (I have 1GB of free RAM and CPU is 80% idle)

Is there somthing I'm missing?

BR,

Agron

• 1. Re: Wildfly 10 & 11 performance issue compared with GlassFish
          lafr

Did you run the tests on the same server or at least on identical servers.

Did you run the test against the same PostgrSQL database engine?

~500 transactions/second during your performance test? Meaning about 1.000 transactions during the execution of your test function?

And ~2.000 transactions/second with Wildfly, in total 20.000 transactions executed during your test? 20 times number of transactions for the same work?

GlassFish uses eclipselink as it's persistence provider, Wildfly is using Hibernate.

Do you use SessionBeans, Bean oder Container managed transactions, ....?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Wildfly 10 & 11 performance issue compared with GlassFish
            ctomc

maybe enabling SQL logging for hibernate might show what is making more queries.

and tuning JPA mappings could help.

another possibility is that you don't have second level caching enabled on WildFly, where it is enabled on GlassFish.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Wildfly 10 & 11 performance issue compared with GlassFish
              afe038

Hi,

I was running the test on the same server with both GlassFish and Wildfly running concurrently. FYI we're using container managed transactions. After some research, our dev team changed some parameters on the persistence.xml and the issue was solved.

Thanks & regards,

A.