13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 5:41 AM by ehugonnet

JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)

gasgas

Hi.
      I will have to develop with Netbans a software that will be put in production with JBoss EAP to have a support. It's like that.

As Netbeans works with JBoss AS but not EAP (no good plugin). I will probably have to develop in Wildfly.
      But I can not find a mapping between EAP and Wildfly implementations to choose my versions of EAP / Wildfly.

Is it a good idea ?

Is there a mapping somewhere ?

Thank you.

I'm rookie  in JEE7/Java8/GoogleTranslate)

• 1. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
          ehugonnet

Hi,

NetBeans should support EAP out of the box (even if this is not officially supported). Please note that since the Enterprise part of NetBeans (of which Java EE and thus the wildfly plugin) is currently being donated to the Apache Software Foundation by Oracle the plugin development has been stalled for the last few months. It should (at least in the nightly builds from http://bits.netbeans.org/download/trunk/nightly/latest/  support EAP 7.0 and WildFly 11, maybe even EAP 7.1 as I remember working on it).

I can't wait for the legal donation to end and add support for WildFly 12 and EAP 7.1 and use some of the new features of WildFly for deployments.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
            gasgas

Thank you for your answer.

I will redo tests with the nightly version of Netbeans; but I do not see any plugin for EAP. You have to use the plugin for JBoss AS or Wildfly and in both cases, it bug.
            Out of the box, you're right, it works but it's not very comfortable.

• 3. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
              ehugonnet

There is no support for EAP because EAP is a Red Hat product and the 'official' supported tool is JBoss Developer Studio.

EAP is detected as its Wildfly equivalent in terms of management API features. Could you please define the bug in question.

I can't do much on this until the donation is finalized (the wildfly plugin got a green legal light as far as I know).

• 4. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                gasgas

With my version "nightly" (20180208), as with my version 8.1 (20150822), when I created in Netbeans a Wildfly server with JBoss EAP 7.0 or 7.1 behind, this server does not appear in the drop-down list "Server" on the tab "Run" on "EAR" type project.

• 5. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                  ehugonnet

I've just installed NetBeans  20180228... Java EE distribution and used the ejb in ear quickstart application and I could run it on EAP 7.0.0 full

Are you using a patched EAP ? There are issue with patched EAP as I get disabled jars in the plugin classpath which effectively breaks it.

I had an EAP 7.1 registered too and it seemed ok but maybe I didn't push the code to the repository.

Be careful as you need to use Java 8 for EAP while NetBeans might be running on 9.

• 6. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                    gasgas

Once again, thank you for your help.

I think the problem comes from the JavaEE version of the project.

If I create an EAR, it's JavaEE6 and everything is OK. But if I pass it manually in JavaEE7, the Wildfly/EAP7.1 server no longer appears in the "Server" drop-down list of the "Run" tab of the projet.

• 7. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                      ehugonnet

Ok this is quite easy to fix, I could provide you with a manually build plugin if you want.

• 8. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                        gasgas

Yes, I wish it! I made my email public if you want to use this way.

• 9. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                          ehugonnet

Dropbox - org-netbeans-modules-javaee-wildfly.nbm   should work. Tell me if it actually fixes your issue

• 10. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                            gasgas

Yes, it fix my issue.

But it only installs on Netbeans 8.1 or 8.2 -> With a "nighlty" version I can't install the plugin because " Plugin 'Wildfly Application Server' is already installed".

This should be integrated in the next version of Netbeans.

Thank you.

• 11. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                              ehugonnet

Yes it would as soon as the code is donated to Apache I will backport the various fixes that are in it.

Still waiting for the legal clearance

• 12. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                                gasgas

Thanks.

This brings up another problem.
                                When starting the server with "Services tab> Servers> Wildfly> right click> Start", the server starts correctly but the corresponding task ("Starting ...") at the bottom right of netbans never stops and I can not stop it (no cross).
                                After several tests, the server does not start anymore, the "Output" window remains empty, the "Starting ..." task does not stop.

• 13. Re: JBoss EAP vs Wildfly (with Netbeans)
                                  ehugonnet

I'll take a look