5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 10:24 AM by nalvargonzalez

JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13

darrenroberts1sp

Hi All,

I've got a project I wish to upgrade from Java 1.7 to Java 1.8, and at the same timer upgrade from JBoss 7 to Wildfly 13.

The application uses Hibernate, and provides a restful service to clients via JAX-RS. It also uses MDB's.  Any specific gotchas that I need to consider as initial tests suggest that the process is not straight forward.

Thanks in advance

Darren

• 1. Re: JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13
          nunomcouto

Robert,

Just did a very, very similar project. I'll ask the lead engineer to respond here.

Nuno

• 2. Re: JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13
            nalvargonzalez

Hi there Robert!

Nuno told me about your current enquiry, we have worked in a lot of JBoss to WildFly upgrades, and my first recommendation would be to do an assessment of your applications with the free Windup tool (Red Hat Migration Assessment Tool), so you get a detailed list of items for upgrade, and will give you a very close picture to the full effort you'll need for your upgrade.

I'm happy to help with any kind of further question, you have, either about the Windup tool or directly about your upgrade, just fire away!

Nicolas

• 3. Re: JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13
              darrenroberts1sp

Thanks guys,

I will; checkout the windup tool.....

Regards

Darren

• 4. Re: JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13
                darrenroberts1sp

Ok guys,

Had a look at this today and installed the Eclipse tooling. Following the instructions, I couldn't get  it to work.

I also noticed with the run configurations that migrations from EAP to Wildfly x was not an option.

Our code is now migrated to Wildfly 9 (we migrated to 8 then upgraded to the next version and initial upgrade to Wildfly 14 failed). We're using JDK 1.8 as the minimum requirement for our upgrade.

The app has both SOAP and REST end points, and a small number of JSP based pages with LDAP for authentication.

Any other useful information would be appreciated.

Regards

Darren

• 5. Re: JBoss 7 Upgrade to Wildfly 13
                  nalvargonzalez

Hi there Darren,

What we usually do is to try the tool with the --target eap:7 and that will be very close to the latest WildFly. At this point if you got it working on 9, moving to 14 shouldn't be that far.

What you're probably missing are some dependencies/modules, and a small configuration here and there, but not much.

Do you have a log of the application trying to deploy on WildFly 14? I might be able to tell you more with that one!

Cheers!