1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2002 4:32 AM by tom_doehler

JBoss, Tomcat, EJBs and XML

mrbo

Hello,

I am relatively new to web development using the Java Enterprise framework. I have used Java a lot, as well as a bit of XML. However, I am having some problems getting my web application up and running using JBoss and Tomcat.

I have a session EJB that generates XML from an entity EJB. The idea is for the session bean to return a DOM document constructed from the data within the entity bean.

The problem occurs when the session bean tries to return the DOM document to the calling JSP. I get an exception which I think is a result of the DOM object not being serializable. I have read that using the Xerces parser rather than Crimson fixes this problem. Is that true, is it a good idea to switch, and how do I go about it?

I am using the JBoss/Tomcat bundle. (JBoss-2.4.4_Tomcat-4.0.1)

Thanks,
      MrBo.

• 1. Re: JBoss, Tomcat, EJBs and XML
          tom_doehler

Hi,

I had a problem that sounds similar to that one you described. Which xerces version do you use ? There is a bug in xerces 2 (beta), that makes it impossible to serialize a DOM - object. Switching to an older xerces version (I used 1.4) worked fine for me.

Bye Tom