8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2002 2:11 PM by respinola

Size of objects being passed

respinola

Does JBoss have a size limit on how big an object can be for it to be passed from server to client through EJB?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Size of objects being passed

no

• 2. Re: Size of objects being passed
            respinola

The reason I ask is that I try to send back a large object to a client and the client reports the following:

java.rmi.ServerError: Error occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
            java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
            at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteCall.java:245)
            at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:220)

This happens right at the code that returns to the client from the server. Right before I send the object back, I check the free memory and I have over 8Gigs left (-Xms8G -Xmx10G) The object being sent is about 300 megs. I also have a try catch block for OutOfMemoryError's on the server side code, wrapped around the return, and I get no errors on the JBoss console. I am using JBoss3.0.0.

Any ideas??

• 3. Re: Size of objects being passed
              sgturner

Given that you have a lot of memory, this looks like some kind of infinite loop kind of problem. Something keeps getting called over and over, allocating memory. You don't say what your object is, but perhaps its got something in it that causes this. For kicks, write a simple app with main that serializes your object to a file and then read it back in again.

• 4. Re: Size of objects being passed
                respinola

I am dealing with BufferedImages that I serialize to pass back to the client. I took your advice and did the serializing and deserializing on the server as a test and it all seems to be working fine, i get the original image and everything. But whenever i try to pass the serialized bufferedImage back to the client it bombs.

I ran it with jdk1.4.0 and got this message:

java.rmi.ServerError: Error occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
                at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java)
                at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java)
                Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
                at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write(ByteArrayOutputStream.java)
                at java.io.ObjectOutputStream$BlockDataOutputStream.setBlockDataMode(ObjectOutputStream.java)
                at java.io.ObjectOutputStream$BlockDataOutputStream.setBlockDataMode(ObjectOutputStream.java)

• 5. Re: Size of objects being passed
                  sgturner

I am at a loss to understand what you are doing because BufferedImage class is not even Serializable.

• 6. Re: Size of objects being passed
                    respinola

I made a serializable class that holds the BufferedImage data so that I was able to pass it over the network.

• 7. Re: Size of objects being passed

hmm, well I guess you need to try to track down where the memory is spent, using a tool like OptimizeIt, or try to play with the image sizes to see where the memory threshold is.

• 8. Re: Size of objects being passed
                        respinola

Someone suggested to me that I increase my permanent heap size with the command:

java -XX:MaxPermSize=XXm

But after digging around, I found that the JVM I am using, IBM's JDK, does not support any options to increase the permanent heap size. Arrrggghhhh!