5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2007 6:48 AM by maxandersen

First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1

grandfatha

Hi folks,

I am posting this thread from within RHDS using WinXP SP2 with JDK 6.02. right now. My first impression is that it looks pretty damn good. I started to create a Seam project and was pleased to follow the wizard to make me choose Server/Datasource and that kinda stuff. It looked like a GUI für seam-gen from the input values. I created a Entity class, a Seam component and a testcase. Here are some problems that I had to deal with:

Problem 1: When trying to create a Seam project for the first time, the wizard did not remember my datasource configuration.

You are asked twice to specify your datasource. However at the second time you can choose an "alias" that you configured. The current wizard seems to not remember this alias, so that I could not finish the project wizard. After restarting the project wizard I could choose the alias from the beginning and everything worked fine. But it is a bug that could go on ye nerves.. ;)

Problem 2:The file "orm.xml" is not generated correctly.

Content of file: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>"

Error in Problems-Tab: "-1:-1 Premature end of file. FirstSeam/src/META-INF orm.xml"

Problem 3: Where is Seam-Gen?

I enjoyed Seam-Gen very much in the past, especially the created ANT build script. Why was this not included to a Seam Project?

Problem 4: Why doesnt RHDS include the TestNG plugin?

After missing the ant script, I had to realize that there was not TestNG plugin delivered with RHDS. This is confusing, because the Seam documentation explicitely shows a TestNG testcase and NOT a JUnit testcase. Why is the plugin not included then? How should I run my tests?

Besides this stuff I have not encountered any problems so far. I was playing around with the Visual Editors and stuff and it worked without a problem. Now and then I had an exception thrown by something for some reason.... I could not reproduce it, so I wont search for the reasons.

I want to thank you for building RHDS around Eclipse 3.3, it is such a great release and I was afraid of having to go back to 3.2 for RHDS. I think others will like this as well.

So far RHDS looks like a great start and I cannot wait for the final version.

• 1. Re: First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1
          martin.dibella

Hi, I'd like to give my impression too. I'm using JSF capabilities. I was using one of RHDS nightbuilds, and found some differences:

* The property inspector doesn't let give you any help when binding to a backing bean property, you have to type the whole EL expression. The Ctrl + Space is still working on the source panel.

* I'm using JSP documents instead of JSP Pages (IceFaces requirement). The Web Page Editor (the one that shows the palette) renders a blank preview page. JSP Fragment:

<f:view xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
           xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
           xmlns:ice="http://www.icesoft.com/icefaces/component">

* In the jsp editor, pressin Ctrl + mouse over a EL expression would take you to the source code (Backing bean code). This is currrently gone.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe this features are in some other place, or maybe they are gone.

Martin.

• 2. Re: First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1
            maxandersen

"Grandfatha" wrote:
            My first impression is that it looks pretty damn good

Thanks for the confirmation! :)

I started to create a Seam project and was pleased to follow the wizard to make me choose Server/Datasource and that kinda stuff. It looked like a GUI für seam-gen from the input values.

The intention is to use the seam-gen templates as much as possible.

I created a Entity class, a Seam component and a testcase. Here are some problems that I had to deal with:

ok - thanks for letting us know.

Problem 1: When trying to create a Seam project for the first time, the wizard did not remember my datasource configuration.

You are asked twice to specify your datasource. However at the second time you can choose an "alias" that you configured. The current wizard seems to not remember this alias, so that I could not finish the project wizard. After restarting the project wizard I could choose the alias from the beginning and everything worked fine. But it is a bug that could go on ye nerves.. ;)

Let me guess - you chose to include the JPA facet correct ? We could/should try and pick that up if possible - but the JPA facet is not required so we need our own selection too.

If you could put it in jira we will make sure we remember to integrate it better.

Problem 2:The file "orm.xml" is not generated correctly.

Content of file: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>"

Error in Problems-Tab: "-1:-1 Premature end of file. FirstSeam/src/META-INF orm.xml"

sounds like a Dali bug ;( (Dali is done by WTP not us)

Problem 3: Where is Seam-Gen?

I enjoyed Seam-Gen very much in the past, especially the created ANT build script. Why was this not included to a Seam Project?

Two things:

1) Under Run menu there is *basic* seam-gen menu wrapper - have fun ;)

2) seam-gen projects are not usable within WTP or any other ide for that matter so we will need to figure out a way for us to adapt to the more classic way of sepearting modules into jar, war, ear....and on that we can provide a generic ant build.xml you can use.

Problem 4: Why doesnt RHDS include the TestNG plugin?

After missing the ant script, I had to realize that there was not TestNG plugin delivered with RHDS. This is confusing, because the Seam documentation explicitely shows a TestNG testcase and NOT a JUnit testcase. Why is the plugin not included then? How should I run my tests?

We don't include the TestNG plugin because it kept crashing in the earlier versions on eclipse 3.3.

We want to bring it in.

Besides this stuff I have not encountered any problems so far. I was playing around with the Visual Editors and stuff and it worked without a problem. Now and then I had an exception thrown by something for some reason.... I could not reproduce it, so I wont search for the reasons.

give us the stacktrace that shows up in the Error Log and we might fix it.

I want to thank you for building RHDS around Eclipse 3.3, it is such a great release and I was afraid of having to go back to 3.2 for RHDS. I think others will like this as well.

we didn't want to be legacy on the first release ;)

So far RHDS looks like a great start and I cannot wait for the final version.

thanks for the feedback.

• 3. Re: First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1
              maxandersen

"martin.dibella" wrote:
              Hi, I'd like to give my impression too. I'm using JSF capabilities. I was using one of RHDS nightbuilds, and found some differences:

* The property inspector doesn't let give you any help when binding to a backing bean property, you have to type the whole EL expression. The Ctrl + Space is still working on the source panel.

please put this in jira with steps/screenshots to reproduce. thanks.

* I'm using JSP documents instead of JSP Pages (IceFaces requirement). The Web Page Editor (the one that shows the palette) renders a blank preview page. JSP Fragment:

<f:view xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
               xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
               xmlns:ice="http://www.icesoft.com/icefaces/component">

* In the jsp editor, pressin Ctrl + mouse over a EL expression would take you to the source code (Backing bean code). This is currrently gone.

this is a known current bug we have; already in jira.

• 4. Re: First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1
                juanignaciosl

I've been working with Richfaces and Hibernate for a while, and I want to jump into Seam now, and this should be a damn good IDE for that. My first impressions can't be better now, even for a beta.

FYI, I've written my http://ideasse.blogspot.com/2007/08/red-hat-developer-studio.html at my blog.

• 5. Re: First impressions/suggestions for RHDS beta 1
                  maxandersen

Hi Juan....

Thanks for the info - I noticed you had more than just a few crashes in your first attempt....we would love to get those reported in jira with related info so we can make the ride smoother for you in the future.

thanks.