1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 17, 2007 2:22 AM by maxandersen

RHDS not consistent on Windows

kevwe

While I see this Studio as a very very promising tool (am excited), I have the following problems:
      Please note that am using Windows XP.

1. I could not create my own library set, hence

2. I could not add any custom capabilities - for insctance, i wanted to add the jars for the JBoss Richfaces but coudn't. When I chose preferences under the windows menu, I looked under the Red Hat sub-tree there was no 'Red Hat Library set' and there is no 'Red Hat Custom capability' - pls, check this out.

3. When I create a connection profile (e.g for PostgreSQL), the hibernate dialect would never change from the default implementation for Hypersonic DB - even after selecting the created connction profile.

4. I wanted to use the Oracle TopLink JPA library but it seems this is not supported, or am I doing something wrong here?

5. Another thing I observed is that every application deployed unto the server (JBossAS 4.2) always bundles all the library in it's build path, even when they already exist in the server's 'server\lib' folder. There should be a way to specify which library should/shouldn't be bundled for deployment.

I would be expecting your responses to these.

Fantastic job! Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: RHDS not consistent on Windows
          maxandersen

"Kevwe" wrote:
          While I see this Studio as a very very promising tool (am excited), I have the following problems:
          Please note that am using Windows XP.

Why did you put everything in bold ?

1. I could not create my own library set, hence

How is this inconsistent ? It was never enabled in RHDS - this is the *first* release ;)

It is disabled by default because we can't guarantee to upgrades with it as it is done now. You can though go and enable this experimental feature in Preferences/Capabilities.

2. I could not add any custom capabilities - for insctance, i wanted to add the jars for the JBoss Richfaces but coudn't. When I chose preferences under the windows menu, I looked under the Red Hat sub-tree there was no 'Red Hat Library set' and there is no 'Red Hat Custom capability' - pls, check this out.

I notice that you might be talking about that the migrated docs state that you can - but that is an unfortunate bug in the docs.

3. When I create a connection profile (e.g for PostgreSQL), the hibernate dialect would never change from the default implementation for Hypersonic DB - even after selecting the created connction profile.

Listed in the readme.txt is a list of known limitations found in this beta1 release - one of those are that for the connection selection to work you need to use "Generic JDBC driver"

4. I wanted to use the Oracle TopLink JPA library but it seems this is not supported, or am I doing something wrong here?

You mean for the Dali/JPA facet ? It is also not supported by default eclipse/wtp so I am again failing to see the inconsistency here ?

Dali supports you to set up your own custom libraries if you want to use it.

Please notice that not even Hibernate is in the list yet - this is a beta.

5. Another thing I observed is that every application deployed unto the server (JBossAS 4.2) always bundles all the library in it's build path, even when they already exist in the server's 'server\lib' folder. There should be a way to specify which library should/shouldn't be bundled for deployment.

If the libraries are not in the build path how is eclipse going to give you codecompletion and compilation of your source that uses those libraries ?
          The serverside libs are not put in the war; what is the issue ?

On that note WTP has this notion of right clicking a project and list the dependencies you want bundled or not; unfortunately I'm not sure if our adapter covers all these yet. Feel free to report bugs.

I would be expecting your responses to these.

Okey - then I'll be expecting you won't use bold for all your messages; thanks ;)

Fantastic job! Thank you very much.

your'e welcome.