8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 12:07 PM by maxandersen

migrate seam-gen project?

nebukadnezzar

Is there an easy way to migrate my seam-gen project into a rhds seam project?

• 1. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
          maxandersen

No ;) (seam-gen projects are not something WTP can handle very well...)

But you can get most (not all) functionallity by right clicking on your project and click the enable Seam button.

• 2. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
            leeovan

i noticed a different structure when creating a project through the new project window and the seam-gen one..

What should i be doing going forwards?

should i use the enable seam and start migrating things over given that my project is still small?

Also would i loose the seam-gen functionality if switching to the new structure.

cheers

• 3. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
              maxandersen

You should be using what you find best.

What seam-gen projects gives that neither WTP or netbeans seem to do:

1 single project in eclipse

What WTP will give that seam-gen doesn't:

a project per main artifact/deployment unit (jar, ear, war)
              deployment to servers that have WTP support (jboss, tomcat, bea, etc)
              Plugins that assume/integrates with WTP will work with your project, e.g. eclipse's JavaEE support and their JSF stuff

....but we still have a way to go to cover all things in seamgen as hotdeploys, testng etc. but it will all be there eventually.

What are the "seam-gen features" you are worried about not having ?

• 4. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
                limousyf

Maybe the "generate-entities" but I read we can just run the target "generate-entities" of a seam-gened ant file.

About the import, adding "JSF support" allows the seam-gen project to be used as a web project (server support, etc ...); and the import is over, isn't it ?

• 5. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
                  maxandersen

Generate entities is on it's way.

I don't understand your last question about "About the import" ?

• 6. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
                    limousyf

I should've said "about the migration" (pardon my crappy english).

I meant that doing respectively "add/remove Seam suport" and "add JSF support" completes the migration (or maybe not ?).

Maybe the ant build file is not exactly the same, but I guess removing the "explode" target and delegate the deployment to eclipse will do the job (or, once again, maybe not ?)

• 7. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
                      limousyf

Damn !
                      I just noticed my last post was as obscure as the previous.
                      Let's make a simple equation :

seam-gen project + "add Seam support" + "add JSF support" = RHDS seam supplicant project

no ?

Another (but linked) question, if I modified the templates in command-line seam-gen (version 1.2.1.GA), can I just overwrite the templates in RHDS seam/seam-gen/view directory ?
                      (I guess it's 1.2.1.GA also)

• 8. Re: migrate seam-gen project?
                        maxandersen

Yes it will work, but e.g. server deployment via WTP won't work.

neither will eclipse's web.xml editor (but ours will ..at least for some part)

the seam bundled is Seam 1.2.0.EAP - the version that comes with JBoss EAP. That is is not Seam 1.2.1.GA