2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2003 2:34 AM by kristiane

CachedRowSet and Oracle JDBC datasource

kristiane Newbie

I am using CachedRowSet in a Session Bean to read and write data to a datasource. I am using JBoss 3.2.1 server and the Oracle JDBC driver is 9.x. CachedRowSet is from the sun.jdbc.rowset package and not from Oracle.

I am writing the modified data using the
      data.acceptChanges(m_connection); // data is the CachedRowSet instance

The JBoss server throws the following exception:
      ERROR [STDERR] No access to MesImn data: Updates failed: You cannot commit during a managed transaction!
      10:09:32,800 WARN [WrappedConnection] Closing a statement you left open, please do your own housekeeping
      10:09:32,908 INFO [CachedConnectionManager] Successfully closed a connection for you. Please close them yourself: org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrappedConnection@64cc4d

Anyboby have any ideas, as to why this is happening?!?

My theory is that the CachedRowSet class tries to commit in code, in the middle of a transaction controlled by the EJB container... Which leads to the next question; How do one get around this? I don't have the source code to CachedRowSet and therefore can't modify the code.

The funny thing is that using a MySQL JDBC driver (towards a MySQL replica database), my code works!!! Writing to datasource is no problem!

The Oracle datasource configuration:
      I have basically just configured a oracle-ds.xml. It looks like this:

The reading actually works, but with warnings using the Oracle datasource.
      I am reading from the datasource using the
      data.execute(m_connection); // data is the CachedRowSet instance

The JBoss server prints the following warning:
      WARN [TxConnectionManager$LocalXAResource] Prepare called on a local tx. Use of local transactions on a jta transaction with more than one branch may result in inconsistent data in some cases of failure.

I will be grateful for any comments, hints or ideas...

- Kristian

• 1. Re: CachedRowSet and Oracle JDBC datasource
          Adrian Brock Master

Post the full stacktrace.

My guess is MySQL doesn't trap the error.

• 2. Re: CachedRowSet and Oracle JDBC datasource
            kristiane Newbie

I have investigated a little further.

The problem is as follows:
            CachedRowSet uses internally transaction management. E.g. it calls commit() or rollback() internally. When using CMT, the container controls transactions (commit/rollback), and will not allow the code to call commit() inside it's controlled method.

In my ejb-jar.xml file, the bean was set to use CMT;

When calling a method on this EJB, as decribed below, the EJB will throw an exception.

Setting the EJB to use BMT, instead works!

Ok, so far so good. But the following questions remains:
            - Is there no way to use CachedRowSet with CMT ?
            - Using BMT, isn't is a little dirty to let the CachedRowSet call Connection.commit() directly, instead of using the UserTransaction.commit() ? E.g using the Connection interface, instead of the UserTransaction interface ?

I will be grateful for any comments, hints or ideas...

- Kristian