2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2004 9:29 AM by kbutler

HyperThreading issues

We've seen problems on our deployed servers running (Intel Xeon) HyperThreading. Unfortunately we do not have one in-house to do much interesting testing with; our solution has been to disable the HT.

Problems we've seen include:
      + reentrancy exceptions ("Reentrant method call detected") in some entities
      + attempted duplicate inserts into session table ("Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'TBUSERSESSION' with unique index...")

We don't get these problems on our other multi-CPU hosts. Note that we have no clustered deployments either.

We are running 3.2.1 with the default (CMP 2.x) entity cache and lock schemes.

Our app is migrated from WebLogic, where we implemented a JDBC-for-reads and EJB-for-create/update scheme to combat its instance-per-transaction locking scheme (for performance).

Also we're running on Sun JVM 1.4.1_05, using the default CLIENT vm.

Has anyone encountered similar? I've found no mention at Sun or Intel; and scant mention anywhere else. We have NOT to my knowledge experimented with different VM modes - I would like to try the SERVER mode but haven't had the opportunity. Also I wonder if optimistic locking (and perhaps instance-per-tx) would behave differently.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks -
      Kent

• 1. Re: HyperThreading issues

I am running quite a few P4's and dual Xeons all with Hyperthreading enabled. All machines are running JBoss 3.2.1, Sun JDK 1.4.2_02 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux and we have not had any of these issues. Hyperthreading has been a very small speed increase.

However, some colleages of mine who are running another application server on Windows 2000 are having a LOT of issues with Hyperthreading.

HTH.

• 2. Re: HyperThreading issues

Thanks! Forgot to mention that this is also a Win2K box.