0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2004 10:54 AM by ramiahbala

ClassCastException in FindByPrimaryKey

ramiahbala

Hello Gurus,

I have a home interface for a CMP 1.1 entity bean that has a create() method and a findByPrimaryKey() method. The return types of these methods are a super type of the remote interface, i.e the bean's remote interface extends the return type of these methods. The super interface itself is a valid remote interface as it extends EJBObject interface.

The create() works alright. But, the findByPrimaryKey() throws a ClassCastException from the proxy.

Code Sample:

Home Interface:

public interface VcrExtensionHome extends EJBHome {

public abstract VcrExtension create(VcrExtensionDetails toCreate) throws CreateException, RemoteException;

public abstract VcrExtension findByPrimaryKey(Integer vcrId) throws FinderException, RemoteException;

}

Super Interface:

public interface VcrExtension extends EJBObject {

public Integer getValue() throws RemoteException;

}

Bean's Remote Interface:

public interface Extension extends VcrExtension {
      }

Deployment Description in short:

<home-interface>VcrExtensionHome</home-interface>
      <remote-interface>Extension</remote-interface>
      <ejb-class>ExtensionEJB</ejb-class>

Is it mandatory that the return type of the home interface should be the exact remote interface type and can't be a super type? If so, then I do not know why the create() works.

In plain java terms, this should work fine. I am not sure whether the home proxy implementation in JBOSS takes different code paths for create() and findBy() methods and one of them has a bug.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.