2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2004 5:17 PM by David Sills

Scoped class loading on 3.2.4

David Sills Newbie

I have tried everything I can think of / read about / guess at to enable scoped classloading in my applications. The particular application I want to do this for is the Axis 1.2 standard distribution, placed in an exploded EAR file with the necessary application.xml. I don't see why the fact that it's exploded should make any difference, so I put the requisite jboss-app.xml file in the META-INF directory:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <jboss-app>
      <loader-repository>
      jetson-axis:loader=jetson-axis.ear
      <loader-repository-config>
      java2ParentDelegation=false
      </loader-repository-config>
      </loader-repository>
      </jboss-app>

I have tried every variation I could think of on this file (setting parent delegation to true, changing the names, using "service" instead of "loader", as that's what one reference said to do, etc.) without the slightest success.

Of course, there will be other applications in addition to Axis to which I will want to apply this. I'm doing this as a proof of concept, and it isn't proving. I really don't want my applications to know anything about unified classloading at all. I don't merely want it to be the last resort, I don't want it to work. If I don't include a class in my Axis WEB-INF/lib, I want it to die horribly, as it does on other app servers. Is there a way to achieve this? Is scoped classloading that way? Does scoped classloading for some reason not work on exploded EAR files? If not, is there another way?

I'll grant that for many unified classloading may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm in need of something else. Does that mean I have to abandon JBoss, which I otherwise like very much?

Many thanks, and apologies for any whiff of frustration I was unable to remove from this note. Happy New Year!

David Sills