1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 21, 2002 7:02 PM by Ralph Lynn

Performance Issue

Ralph Lynn Newbie

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I'm not sure where it belongs. We're seeing some rather strange behavior when running JBoss2.4.3/Tomcat3.2.3 on Solaris 2.7. We've split the Web Server on a separate machine to isolate the problem. Here's the issue...

When we run a load test of (100-200) users against our application JSP / Servlets / EJBs, the app seems to perform pretty well. However, every 30 minutes (Without fail), the machine seems to come to a grinding halt - no cpu activity, very little disk, etc. During this time you cannot access the application from your web browser. After a few minutes of resting the app finally comes back and begins performing well again.

One thing I though of was the session timeout, so I changed it to 15 minutes. However, the probably still seems to happen in 30 minute intervals. Any ideas?

Ralph

• 1. Re: Performance Issue
          Ralph Lynn Newbie

It looks like we found the problem on this one. Our load test tool creates a new session on every iteration of a test run. because of this, we create several thousand stateful session beans during a given test scenario. These don't get cleaned up until the bean cleanup thread runs which is based on the remover-period that is set to 30 minutes by default. This explains our 30 minute performance problem.

Now, I have a question about this. It seems that when this thread runs it basically takes over the app and all other threads are basically in a waiting state. Is this a known problem or expected behavior? I would expect this to be a low priority thread because its only doing cleanup work in the background. Anyone else see this?