6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2007 10:08 AM by Ilya Shaikovsky

question

Adrian Iacob Newbie

for this example
      http://livedemo.exadel.com/a4j-dropDownBoxes/

I want to have a dynamic number of dropDownBoxes (not only the values inside a dropDownBox).
      The user should see only one dropDownBox and after he selects something the second should appear and so on.

something like adding another

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectOneCar"
       value="#{carBean.currentCar}">
       <f:selectItems
       value="#{carBean.carList}" />
      </h:selectOneMenu>

Can this be done?

• 1. Re: question
          Mike Quilleash Newbie

Conditionally render the other components using the rendered property, I've just set the second combo to show when the first's value is set to not-null. Then add the <a4j:support> and tell it which event to trap and which control you wish to reRender.

This is the basics, you should read the docs for more info and options.

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectOneCar" value="#{carBean.currentCar}">
           <f:selectItems value="#{carBean.carList}" />
           <a4j:support event="onchange" reRender="selectAnotherThing"/>

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectAnotherThing" value="#{carBean.otherThing}" rendered="#{carBean.currentCar != null}">
           <f:selectItems value="#{carBean.otherThings}" />

HTH.

Mike.

• 2. Re: question
            Adrian Iacob Newbie

The problem here is that I don't know whether I have one selectOneMenu or 10 selectOneMenu .

let me give you an example of what I have in my head instead of carBean I will call controllerBean that has another bean calling it genericBean, This genericBean can be for example an Event bean (that has let us say 3 combo - year, month, day) or it can be a Computer bean (that has 5 combo - cpu, motherboard, optical, monitor, hard) (please remember this is an example, ignore the fact that hard, optical or motherboard are not really linked together)
            and you would hard code like this

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectFirstProperty" value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.year}">
             <f:selectItems value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.yearList}" />
             <a4j:support event="onchange" reRender="selectSecondThing"/>

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectSecondProperty" value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.month}">
             <f:selectItems value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.monthList}" rendered="#{controllerBean.genericBean.year != null}/>
             <a4j:support event="onchange" reRender="selectThirdThing"/>

<h:selectOneMenu id="selectThirdProperty" value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.day}">
             <f:selectItems value="#{controllerBean.genericBean.dayList}" rendered="#{controllerBean.genericBean.month != null}/>

and the same would repeat itself for the Computer Bean.
            I have the list of properties for Event of Computer that would be ["year","month","day"] and ["cpu","motherboard","optical","monitor","hard"]

and I am thinking of something like
            value="#{controllerBean.genericBean[property]}" and rendered="#{controllerBean.genericBean[previousProperty]"

somehow on a loop :D

• 3. Re: question
              Ilya Shaikovsky Master

Use select controls inside repeats and point its values to your model bean.

And, Guys, also do not remember that you must reRender wrapper components but not a component that influenced by rendered attribute

• 4. Re: question
                Mike Quilleash Newbie

"ilya_shaikovsky" wrote:
                And, Guys, also do not remember that you must <b>reRender</b> wrapper components but not a component that influenced by <b>rendered</b> attribute

Oops, forgot about that, my bad.

• 5. Re: question
                  Adrian Iacob Newbie

please give more details... I know what I want, I hope I was clear. I don't know how !... So please give more details what repeats (I would love a fully functional example!)