I have an interesting problem whereby JBoss 3.0.8 occasionally hangs (never to respond to my ear and sar again) when receiving requests from a web page or a servlet..
The configuration is:-
Win XP SP2
I have done all the usual steps in researching this issue such as searching on GOOGLE, JBoss Forums and WIKI?s all to no avail, I can?t believe that I am alone in this problem and would sure appreciate any help or guidance in solving the issue.
These are the facts that I have managed to establish so far that define the server hanging:-
1. I can hit many different web pages many many times (>200 in a minute) and the server is fine.
2. I can then revisit various web page again maybe 5 to 10 minutes later and click on the web page and it may fail after several attempts.
3. When JBoss hangs it is not totally dead, but close to it. ? It is like the ear and sar associated with the deployed application are dead as I have a timer that does not run any longer once the server does not respond to web page hits.
4. I can still run the jmx-console and infact when I look at the HtmlAdaptor mBean and set ?trace? and statsOn to true I see an interesting problem with the connectionsOpen setting. Each time I click on the web page url the page contents remain the same, but the connectionsOpen setting is incremented by one. It is like something is blocking the HTML request.
5. The problem is not easily reproducible ? sometimes it will happen 3 times in 20 minutes (rebooting the server each time) and other times it may happen once in 3 hours.
I have turned on various settings in the log4j.xml file to get a better low level feeling for what is happening. I can see that JBoss is still alive as it will provide some details such as:-
09:41:26,527 DEBUG [IdleRemover] run: IdleRemover notifying pools, interval: 450000
09:48:56,509 DEBUG [IdleRemover] run: IdleRemover notifying pools, interval: 450000
09:56:26,492 DEBUG [IdleRemover] run: IdleRemover notifying pools, interval: 450000
And if I ?tickle? one of the files in the deploy or config directories it will hot deploy these ? it behaves as though the application ear and sar have somehow become lost in limbo.
I have a couple of questions?
1. Has anyone out there encountered similar problems?
2. What settings would I need in the log4j.xml file to best help resolve this problem?
3. Is there some place that I can get the definitive list of outstanding bugs/issues for JBoss 3.0.8?
I?ve got my fingers cross that there is someone out there who is keen to help a fellow programmer and enjoy the spoils of a Mars bar (heck 5 Mars bars) if they can help resolve this problem.
Regards and thanks in advance.