2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2006 4:28 PM by Michal Glowacki

Servlet update without JBoss restart

Michal Glowacki Novice

Hi

Where and what should I set in bundled Tomcat 5.5.9 to avoid need of jboss restart when web app's servlet code has changed? I found some instructions for tomcat 5.5 (add attribute reloadable="true" to context tag in context.xml) but it looks useless for 5.5.9 as tag doesn't have attribute "reloadable".

Thanks in advance,
      Michael

• 1. Re: Servlet update without JBoss restart
          chris griffith Expert

Michael,

Web apps are deployed and undeployed from the deploy directory (unless you have configured otherwise.) There is no reason to restart JBoss server in order to re-deploy a web app.

cgriffith

• 2. Re: Servlet update without JBoss restart
            Michal Glowacki Novice

I think you mistunderstood me. It's not the problem of web application. I began to use AJAX in my JSF project, so I need to create servlet's. And what my problem is, every time when I change something in my servlet class I need to restart jboss, because redeploying does nothing - ok, normal backing beans, jsp, javascript are updated, but not java classes that extend httpservlet class. I have read that servlet's are loaded into virtual machine memory so I need to know how to stop web app (in 'window' apps virtual machine is stopped when program ends, with web apps not). I'm using Java Studio Creator 2 and one person at Sun's forum gave me this hint: you have to find out how to stop web app in jboss, otherwise you will have to restart the whole server.