2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2006 4:28 PM by mglowacki

Servlet update without JBoss restart

mglowacki

Hi

Where and what should I set in bundled Tomcat 5.5.9 to avoid need of jboss restart when web app's servlet code has changed? I found some instructions for tomcat 5.5 (add attribute reloadable="true" to context tag in context.xml) but it looks useless for 5.5.9 as tag doesn't have attribute "reloadable".

Thanks in advance,
      Michael

• 1. Re: Servlet update without JBoss restart
          j2ee_junkie

Michael,

Web apps are deployed and undeployed from the deploy directory (unless you have configured otherwise.) There is no reason to restart JBoss server in order to re-deploy a web app.

cgriffith

• 2. Re: Servlet update without JBoss restart
            mglowacki

I think you mistunderstood me. It's not the problem of web application. I began to use AJAX in my JSF project, so I need to create servlet's. And what my problem is, every time when I change something in my servlet class I need to restart jboss, because redeploying does nothing - ok, normal backing beans, jsp, javascript are updated, but not java classes that extend httpservlet class. I have read that servlet's are loaded into virtual machine memory so I need to know how to stop web app (in 'window' apps virtual machine is stopped when program ends, with web apps not). I'm using Java Studio Creator 2 and one person at Sun's forum gave me this hint: you have to find out how to stop web app in jboss, otherwise you will have to restart the whole server.