0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2006 12:58 PM by theaps

4.0.3SP1 change to 4.0.4 precompiles unchanged JSPs every st

theaps

JBoss 4.0.4 appears to re-compile JSPs every time the server starts up regardless whether the JSPs have changed or not. In 4.0.3SP1 and previous versions, JSPs would only pre-compile (per our web.xml settings) if they were changed.

The result is an extra 2 to 3 minutes added to server startup time.

I have searched forums and Wiki for any hint of a possible configuration change that would cause this but didn't find anything. I just wonder if there is there something new in 4.0.4...

This behavior hurts most in our development environments where JBoss restarts can be very frequent.

Here is a snippet of our web.xml showing our pre-compilation settings for a few JSPs:

<!-- Precompile jsps -->
      <!-- root directory -->

<servlet-name>aboutus</servlet-name>
      <jsp-file>/aboutus.jsp</jsp-file>
      <load-on-startup>20</load-on-startup>

<servlet-name>address</servlet-name>
      <jsp-file>/address.jsp</jsp-file>

<servlet-name>addressRefine</servlet-name>
      <jsp-file>/addressRefine.jsp</jsp-file>

<servlet-name>allMachineParts</servlet-name>
      <jsp-file>/allMachineParts.jsp</jsp-file>

Our web app is fairly straightforward in its use of JavaEE features: stateless session beans (EJB2.1), JSP/Struts, a couple of MDBs, JNDI (no O/R framework) to the database. Our development environments work from an exploded ear/war deployment where we have pointed JBoss to a separate deployment directory, with deployment directory scanning disabled.

I could certainly have missed something... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.