This is an update to my original post...
It seems as though the login process is working, if and only if I do the following.
1.) Take out the calls to my secured EJBs.
2.) Only have the SRPCacheLoginModule be called on the server side. I used to have the DatabaseServerLoginModule configured to retrieve Role/Group information and ignore the password retrieval using the 'password-stacking="useFirstPass"' attribute.
So what now looks like is happening is that somehow the DatabaseServerLoginModule is trying to validate the password, which will fail, because it's not in the database. I will keep digging and once I have found an acceptable solution I will post my results. Feel free though to lend any assistance.