2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2002 10:41 PM by starksm64

Why  a RoleGroup value of "Roles"?

joe543

Hi,

A quote from the jboss manual (downloaded December01):

... 'The DatabaseServerLoginModule is a JDBC based login module that supports authentication and role mapping. It is based on two logical tables: Table Principals(PrincipalID text, Password text) Table Roles(PrincipalID text, Role text, RoleGroup text) The "Principals" table associates the user "PrincipalID" with the valid password and the "Roles" table associates the user "PrincipalID" with its role sets. The roles used for user permissions must be contained in rows with a "RoleGroup" column value of "Roles". '

... Page 267 (security, chapter8, DatabaseServerLoginModule)

My question is why does the rolegroup column need to have a value of "Roles"?

Joe

• 1. Re: Why  a RoleGroup value of "Roles"?
          joe543

Please could some kind soul give any info on this - I'm trying to understand how these data structures relate to each other and how one might implement an authorization mechanism using them.

(I have managed to get form-based authentication working with the JBoss DatabaseLoginModule so far but I need a bit more info to build an authorization mechanism using these data structures).

Thanks!

Joe

• 2. Re: Why  a RoleGroup value of "Roles"?
            starksm64

Read the Subject naming usage pattern in the same chapter to understand the meaning of the "Roles" group.