2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2006 3:59 PM by fhh

Why are some security domains visible in JNDIView and others

In the default jboss-configuration quite a lot of security domains are defined.

However, looking at JNDIView I can see only four:

+- jaas (class: javax.naming.Context)
       | +- JmsXARealm (class:org.jboss.security.plugins.SecurityDomainContext)
       | +- jbossmq (class: org.jboss.security.plugins.SecurityDomainContext)
       | +- HsqlDbRealm(class:org.jboss.security.plugins.SecurityDomainContext)
       | +- jmx-console(class:org.jboss.security.plugins.SecurityDomainContext)

Does anybody know why the "JBossWS" for example domain remains invisible and whetether these invisible sec domains are usuable via a security-domain declaration in jboss(-web).xml?

Regards

fhh

• 1. Re: Why are some security domains visible in JNDIView and ot
          j2ee_junkie

fhh,

I believe that the login-config.xml file is loaded by the server, but actual SecurityDomain/SecurityManagers are not instantiated and bound in JNDI until they are needed. An example of when one would be needed is when an application specifically says, "I am using security domain x" at deploy time.

cgriffith

• 2. Re: Why are some security domains visible in JNDIView and ot

Thanks fpr your reply!

I believe that the login-config.xml file is loaded by the server, but actual SecurityDomain/SecurityManagers are not instantiated and bound in JNDI until they are needed. An example of when one would be needed is when an application specifically says, "I am using security domain x" at deploy time.

That is what I would have expected but this is not the case. While poking around some more I have finally figured out that the security domain is not instantiated at deployment time but on first access.

Since some of the security domains are used internally they are visible in JNDI right after boot. Those that are configured but not used in the standard configuration are not visible until first use.

Regards

fhh