2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2001 5:54 AM by geoff

Problem with remote JMS topic on JBoss restart

geoff

[ FYI: JBoss 2.4.3 on Redhat Linux 6.2 with Sun jdk 1.3]

Hi there, I have been playing with JBossMQ for a few days now and have a few questions regarding its use amongst a cluster of machines running JBoss.

Essentially, I have two machines, one acting as the JMS master (ie. the other machine running JBoss has a subscription to a topic on it). This seems to be working OK for a durable subscription (via an MDB) to the topic, ie. messages are sent (from an external client) to the JBoss acting as JMS master and received by the other instance of JBoss, great!

The problem I am having (or the misunderstanding as it may be) is that if the JBoss instance acting as the JMS master is stopped then restarted, the other instance of JBoss will not receive any further messages sent to the topic on the JBoss acting as JMS master . The only way to reestablish the connection is to restart this second instance of JBoss. Incidently I receive the following error on stopping this instance of JBoss:

[JMSContainerInvoker] Could not stop JMS connection
      org.jboss.mq.SpyJMSException: Cannot disable the connection with the JMS server ...

linked exception is:
      java.io.EOFException ...

[JMSContainerInvoker] Could not close consumer
      org.jboss.mq.SpyJMSException: Cannot unsubscribe to this destination ...

linked exception is:
      java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

This is a little undesirable and I was wandering if there is a way to get the MDB ContainerInvoker/InstanceManager to notice when the socket connection to the remote JMS resource is no longer valid and remove any MDBs ( or reinstantiate them ) that were relying on this connection? Any other suggestions on how to best handle this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff Webb

• 1. Re: Problem with remote JMS topic on JBoss restart

Hi I see you are new to the list. Just yesterday we had a discussion on this. In JBoss 2.2.x JBossMQ had a (somewhat working) ExceptionListener inplementation. The MDB stuff is build upn that. Somewho that got lost with 2.4.x series. It is implemented in CVS (RH 3.0), but I do not know if it will be backported.

I can simply say this: If you need falsafe stuff:
          a) Use 2.2.2 or
          b) Use CVS (with probably other problems)
          c) Say laud and clear that you want the exception listener stuff to be backported to 2.4.x and maybe someone (hi Hiram ;-) ) will listen.

//Peter

• 2. Re: Problem with remote JMS topic on JBoss restart
            geoff

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, I found the related topics from the last few days.

What would be required to backport the ExceptionListener stuff to 2.4.x? It would be really REALLY handy to have it in there as we rolling out JBoss in a production environment within the next month We are not using JMS yet but really need to move in that direction.

Thanks again.

Geoff

P.S.
            Sorry if this has been discussed but I found it a little difficult to find relevant info on the forums.