4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2001 7:42 PM by Hiram Chirino

priority ordering

Seema Newbie

I have a MDB listening to a queue that receives both synchronous and asynchronous messages. I need to process the synchronous messages first. Is there a way I can do this ? How does JBoss handle JMSPriority header ? Does it guarantee priority ordering of messages ?

• 1. Re: priority ordering
          Charles Chan Newbie

Can you actually implement a MDB that listens to synchronous message?

Charles

• 2. Re: priority ordering
            Peter Antman Expert

There is no such thing as "synchronous and asynchronous messages", there is only synchronous and asynchronous ways of getting messages from the queueu. Your onlu chance I think is to have the MDB use a seletor of some cind of property that tells that this is the message to fecth (async) and that your sync JMS client (is it in a session bean?) select on another property.

//Peter

• 3. Re: priority ordering
              Seema Newbie

sorry, I should have been more clear. I have a client that sends messages to a queue. The client may or may not need to wait for replies (hence synchronous or asynchronous). The MDB consumes these messages, does some processing and returns a reply. I am using message selectors to make sure the messages are consumed by the right component. But I want the MDB to process the synchronous messages first (if there are both async and sync messages in the queue at the same time), as I don't want my client to time out. I thought of setting the JMSPriority header but I'm not sure how JBoss handles that. Any ideas would be appreciated and thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: priority ordering
                Hiram Chirino Expert

Yes, last time I checked, the priorities (0-10) are honored.

Regards,
                Hiram