6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2001 3:25 PM by hchirino

MDB's: Are they currently in "alpha", "beta", or production?

macknox

I have been told that the JBoss Message Driven Bean implementation is still in "alpha" mode. Can anyone point me to the part of the site that would clue me into these types of questions?

I have never used open source before, and have only cursory familiarity with SourceForge, CVS, etc, though I am trying to come up to speed quickly.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in

Hi, who told you that.

The MDB code has been bashed for soon to be a year now. I have considered it stable at least the last 6 month.

TX MDB is dependant on JBossMQ - which is currently considered in beta mode.

I know there have been pretty large systems built using MDB - by myself for example.

//Peter

• 2. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in
            macknox

Thanks Peter.

I was told that by a developer here at my large company who has control of a box that could have JBoss installed on it. He doesn't want me to put any weight on JBoss MDB's due to stability concerns.

He also doesn't want to replace JServe with JBoss, because he already has production systems running on JServe. He views JBoss as "better", but not better enough to warrant the work. If the folk at JBoss have declared their MDB's to be production, then that could make the difference.

It's all very sticky. I am just hoping for some place where the folk at JBoss declare that their MDB implementation is production quality as of release x.

Thanks again for your help,

Kevin

• 3. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in
              macknox

Whoops. I suddenly remembered reading your name in the bios, and checked back again. If you say they're production, they're production.

Thanks!

Kevin

• 4. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in

Thanks ;-)

• 5. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in
                  macknox

I spoke with the other developer, and he corrected my misunderstanding of his concerns. As you pointed out, JBossMQ is the product still in beta, and that was his concern all along. He pointed out that the JBoss web site still identifies the JBossMQ implementation as alpha at "http://jboss.org/developers/jboss-jbossmq.jsp", and evidently has so specified for over a year now.

Thanks again,

Kevin

• 6. Re: MDB's: Are they currently in
                    hchirino

JBossMQ is in beta now. Need to get that web page updated. :)

It has been performing real stable lately and we will have a stable release soon.

Regards,
                    Hiram