2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2003 3:57 AM by alan shields

decreasing client timeout

alan shields Newbie

Is there any way I can decrease the timeout for the OIL and/or UIL client's?

I have a problem that if jboss dies or is shut down my clients will take 15 seconds to realise it's not there (once the connection fails I reroute the messages over a dbms)

All my clients are on a lan and anything over 2 seconds means it's broken.

Thanks.
      Alan Shields

• 1. Re: decreasing client timeout
          Adrian Brock Master

Change the ping time.
          Then register an ExceptionListener with the connection.
          When the server fails to pong the onException
          method will be invoked.

Regards,
          Adrian

• 2. Re: decreasing client timeout
            alan shields Newbie

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

It occurs to me that I may not have chosen the best architecture here,

Instead of connecting to JMS from the client I could just place my messages in a database and have an MBean check the table and generate JMS messages every 10 minutes or so, I currently do this only as a backup measure as I need the messages to be processed as soon as possible, and I didn't want to have this MBean activating and doing queries every second or so.

I was wondering whether an alternative might be to have the MBean sleep for 10 minutes at a time but also listen for UDP packets, then have the client send a packet whenever it adds a message to the table, if the UDP packet never gets through the next client's probably will and there is always the 10 minute timeout.

What do people think?

Cheers