0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2003 11:47 AM by net32gregw1

Confused by JBoss/RMI

net32gregw1

Hello everyone,

I am new to RMI and I am having trouble getting RMI and JBoss to work the way I thought they worked. I want to use JBoss's RMI registry to register my server object(s). I am running both the server and the client on the same machine (a Unix box w/ Solaris 5.8, Jboss/Jetty 3.04).

First, none of these classes is an EJB, just straight Java. I have a Remote interface, myRemote which extends Remote. This declares the methods I require the subclasses to have. I then have a server class, myClass, that extends UnicastRemoteObject and implements myRemote. The server, myClass, has the _stub and _skel files associated with it. All of these classes are in the same package, myPackagePath.

Here is what I've tried in code:
      //this call does appear to get a valid registry object from JBoss
      Registry reg = LocateRegistry.getRegistry("rmi://localhost", 4444);

//I then try to bind the remote object to the registry
      reg.bind( "rmi://localhost:4444/myPackagePath.myClass", myClassInstance );

This generates the following error:
      java.rmi.NoSuchObjectException: no such object in table

Another way I've tried this is with an InitialContext:
      InitialContext i = new InitialContext();
      i.bind( "rmi://localhost:4444/myPackagePath.myClass", myClassInstance );

which results in:
      javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is java.rmi.NoSuchObjectException:
      no such object in table]

Finally:
      Naming.bind( "rmi://localhost:4444/myPackagePath.myClass", myClassInstance );
      also yields: java.rmi.NoSuchObjectException: no such object in table

Now, I know this object isn't in the table yet -- I'm trying to add it there. Can someone help me with this at all? Do I need to make some changes in the JBoss config somewhere to tell it's RMI registry where to find the codebase? Is there something more I need to do in code?

Any help, or pointers to good resources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
      Greg